14' aluminum semi v casting decks

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
I am installing casting decks on a 14' aluminum rivited Semi V hull ive heard a lot of people talking about trying it but noone has done it on share a project as far as i could find. So here is mine. Let me know what you guys think and ill keep everyone posted or at least ill keep adding to the share a project page as i go...

Here is the link: http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,265,00.html

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 14' aluminum semi v casting decks

can everyone else see this if you copy and paste? Not sure if its just me that can view the share a project page

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Looks good I would question the stability due to the height and shape of the hull.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

no i didnt see those i have installed hatches tonight that im going to post on the share a project tomorrow so far its pretty tight. like i said before i went out on it and just laied a makeshift ply floor and it was plents stable. Im not going to raise my seat up as far as Aaron Isler's boat though i think the COG would be too high. but mine is coming along pretty well. i took it out with my 15 hp tonight with 3 batteries just behind the front seat and all the decking just laying in place and it got up on plane. i just put 3 there to see if 2 would be too much but 3 was there and it still got up. i havent applied the carped yet but there is still tomorrow!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

sweet i got it lol to link to my page directlly there is a program i installed that did it for me i copied and pasted to the program then copied and pasted to the message and it added a bunch or urs's but the link takes u to shareaproject.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

ok if u look at my share a proj. i got a pic of the casting deck with hatches cut out and they are open in the pics. How should i install the carpet. Im going to use liquid nails for wood. Should i take the doors off or cut them out after i install the carpet??????

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hatch should have a quarter inch gap all the way around. That way, you can wrap the carpet around the hatch lids and staple/glue it to the edges of the lids for a more trimmed out look. Also, wrap the carpet down over the edges of the holes. The carpet will fill in the 1/4" gap and should have a snug fit. All of this would be easier if you removed the doors first.If you want, you could cover the backs of the lids with some vinyl so you look cool even when the lids are opend:)

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

thanks kevin i bevil cut the hatches there is something the sides of the hatches rest on i was thinking i could take the doors off and carpet the whole thing and make like an X cut over the open parts and tuck the triangles under. Im just not sure to mount the hinges under the carped or below. they will look good eather way and they are on the sides so i wont walk on them much.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

And if you must use liquid nail, make sure you spread it around. I've seen people ruin good carpet by just leaving "S-trails" of glue and these "S-trails" showing through the carpet...........ugly!:%

Pony

Rear Admiral

I used spray contact adhesive when I did my floor.
Thread about my floor . It kept the "S" patterns of heavier glue away. I used some pretty heavy duty stuff.......2 years of abuse and its still holding well.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I painted my treated plywood panels and floors on all 6 sides before installing the carpet and ultimately installing all of the panels to the boat. I trimmed the carpet to even margins on the underside of each panel. They look great even when open and this accomplished one more step in the ongoing struggle against rot.

This only took a couple of extra hours and I used leftover porch and floor paint.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Painting first is a good idea. Thanks Terry

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

i got almost the front deck done and ill post pics in a little whyle. Im so proud of what ive done so far!!!! me and a neighbor went out like it was last night and we reeled in so manny bass. i caught my first on a buzz bait he was trying to hit it like so manny times and was a nice one too!!!