INBOARD CHEVY HESITATES?

CRUSADER25

Cadet
TOOK MY 1973 MASTERCRAFT OUT THIS PAST WEEKEND AND WAS PULLING TUBES W/ PEOPLE VERY SMALL AND WHEN I WOULD START OUT THE BOAT WOULD START HESITATING AND THEN GO. WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: INBOARD CHEVY HESITATES?

Has it had a recent tune-up? fiters, points, cap, plugs, all the basic tune-up stuff?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Odd how your "restoration" of this boat didn't include a bit of even basic maintenance...:^

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seems to be a theme lately,
but Accel pump.
Could be Accellerator pump/carb
Timing
Plugs
or combo of all three

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't see where he mentioned that he "restored" it. He just said it was hesitating and asked for some advice.

Crusader....No, a basic tune-up is neither expensive or hard to do.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

thunderroad said:
I didn't see where he mentioned that he "restored" it. He just said it was hesitating and asked for some advice.

Crusader....No, a basic tune-up is neither expensive or hard to do.

Check his other threads.......he states he recently "restored" this boat.
I'm guessing that consisted of airing tires, dragging it home, and putting 10 gallons of gas in it.

D

DJ

You guys are brutal.

To answer the question, I would first take a look at timing, with a timing light. Does it advance with the throttle opening?

If so, I'd be looking at the carb. accelerator pump.

CRUSADER25

Cadet

WELL ACTUALLY I DIDNT RESTORE THE BOAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER DID AND I NEVER SAID I RESTORED IT, I SPECIFICALLY STATED THAT I BOUGHT A RESTORED 73 MASTERCRAFT....AND ABOUT THE TIMING THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD THE THROTTLE TIED WIDE OPEN AND I HAVE JUST LEFT IT THAT WAY COULD THAT BE A PROBLEM?

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

you probably mean the choke "wired completely open" don't you? If so, that could be a problem when the engine is cold but shouldn't have any effect once the engine warms up. My guess would be, as someone above posted, that you have a weak accelerator pump in your carburetor. Not a serious problem but carbs can be tricky and need to be looked at by someone with rebuilding experience, IMO, be it you or a service tech.

This "everyone is an idiot until proven otherwise" crap that is becoming so common is getting kinda tiresome.
People, like myself, come hear to ask questions, learn a little, offer a little help when I can and sneak away with a little advice. If I want preaching, I'll go to church.

CRUSADER25

Cadet

OOPS...YEAH I MEANT CHOKE IS FULLY OPEN. BUT I WILL JUST PROBABLY HAVE TO TAKE MY BOAT TO A MECHANIC AND HAVE THEM DO A TUNE UP AND CHECK THE ACCEL. PUMP....THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP.

JasonR

Seaman Apprentice

just put new cap, rotor, wires, plugs and a new fuel/water seperator filter on it and try it again. It probably needs it anyway if it doesn't fix it. A mechanic will probably charge you around $400 to diagnos it and maybe fix it. A new carb is around $375