u-joints? Outdrive?

ripped_78

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 86 4.3l Mercruiser I had the shop replace the steering cable which costs $830.00 and now there is a knocking coming from between the engine and the outdrive right there at the transom. I'm thinking it is the ujoints. I'm not trying to blame the shop but is there something they could of done or that is not tight that would cause this? If you try moving the outdrive it has about a 1/4 inch of play before it starts turning the steering wheel.

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: u-joints? Outdrive?

Trim the motor up and down while running the engine. If the knocking goes away or changes anyway, then it's a good chance the u-joints are the problem. If you trim it all the way down and the knock almost goes away, u-joint may be going.

ripped_78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The knock is definately louder when the trim is up. It also knocks when it's not even in gear. How bad is this hurting my boat. I will replace the u joint but can i go through the rest of the summer with out it causing anymore damage, or should I go get some lube and let the shop have it's way with me?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If its u-joint problems you can definately cause more damage by continued operation. Get the lube ready. :%

DHPMARINE

Captain

You should get this looked at.A blown u-joint can break at least $1200.00 in parts.And then comes labor.
When you say trim,are you confusing it with tilt ?

DHP

DHPMARINE

Captain

I also would like to know more about that $800 steer cable job.

DHP

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just had one come in today with broken ujoints. Not only the ujoints are bad, but the complete ujoint assembly are destroyed, it also took out the transom shield, front of the drive and the bellhousing the drive bolts to.
$1200 won't even touch the upper housing on the drive (Bravo III). I can see this one being in the 6-8K range when all the damage is assesed.

ripped_78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

looks like i'm taking it out of the water early this year and replacing some joints.

vipzach

Lieutenant

Where around here did you have the steering cable replaced? Why did it cost that much, I didn't think a steering cable would be near that expensive, also, I don't think drive removal is required to do the cable.(I am not sure at all about the drive removal)

ripped_78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They had to replace the cable and the helm which was fine they told me about $600. It cost $245 for parts and $450 for labor. Then they charged me $135 to pull it out of the water. If I knew it was going to cost this much I would of just done it myself this winter. How much should it cost for a shop to replace the u-joints.