Need help Inline merc 115(Clams)

DannyJ

Cadet
I was wondering if I could get some help on a merc 115(not sure of year)? First off I have a couple of very general and very vague questions.

The motor I have will start and idle perfectly but has top end at all. It bogs down when given gas. So here is my first question, I have read a lot about this link and sync. Will that potentially help me out here?

Question 2: The person that I bought the motor from put the impeller in backwards and it overheated. Would putting the impeller in backwards cause this? I am going to check compression as soon as I can on it, and probably won’t do anything else until I do, because I don’t want to throw money at this thing if it is going to need to be rebuilt. Also would simply getting too hot cause the problems? Please forgive my ignorance, but I would really appreciate any help here.

Thanks,
Dan

Laddies

Banned
Re: Need help Inline merc 115(Clams)

Dan, I am not Clams but if I don't anwser before he get back there will be padders all over this thread, at lest I can give a anwser with out the BS.
The bogging is a dirty fuel system (clean it and install a fuel pump kit) the impeller would turn it's self over if it were a new one (never turn a old one over) so you either have a used imp that won't work installed backwards or some other pump problem

timmathis

Lieutenant

Post your serial # and we can tell what year it is. We need to know the year. Also you will need to know so you can get a manual. Another must have. If you are going to work on it.
Tim

DannyJ

Cadet

OK, no s/n plate on it. So I don't know for sure what year. I have only been able to narrow it down from 1985 to 1987. And honeslty I don't remember what parts and cast numbers I used to figure that out, because it was quite a while ago, so please don't ask. lol.

As far as the fuel system I know the carbs were professionally gone through right before I acquired it. My father in law bought the motor and gave up on it because after buying a stator and rectifier it still wasn't running right. But also when he bought it, he was told it was a 90 hp. But I have since figured out that it has the wrong cowling on it. I haven't messed with the motor (with the exception of pulling off the LU) in over a year, because there was just to many unknowns. And I still might be chasing my tail here, but I would really like to see this thing on the water, in a big way.

So as far as the fuel system goes what else do I need to do other than the fuel pump kit?

Thanks,
Dan

Laddies

Banned

Ck to see if the engine has fire on all cyls, with a new stator they propaply cked this out, ck your compression, if the engine sounds like it is starving for fuel ck and make sure the trash screens in the carbs are clean or removes (1 behind the inlet fitting on each carb) make sure the spark advance is moving

DannyJ

Cadet

All cylinders fire. All screens are clear in carbs. Now for the stupid question: What is the spark advance? I feel I should know this as much research as I have done on this motor, but I do not.
Also Laddies, I see you are from Northern Michigan. Just curious if you are from the REAL Northern Michigan, or the Northern Lower. LOL, Sorry I shouldn't take cheap shots, when you are helping me, but sometimes I can't help it.

Thanks so much,
Dan

DannyJ

Cadet

One more question: is the fuel pump kit just gaskets?

Thanks again,
Dan

Laddies

Banned

Hey Dan I am Troll live 30 under the bridge:devil: The spark advance is the lever that that moves the trigger under the flywheel if it don't move to the advance it won't let the engine rev up it must be adjusted with a timing light so just don't start turing screws (clams has a syn and link post that will serve you very well) The pump kit should be diaphrams and gaskets if it's aftermarket and the merc kit also has ck valves. I'm at Alanson were are you?

DannyJ

Cadet

I actually have a copy of the link and sync post printed out, because I was thinking this was my problem. That this needed to be done. And I rounded up a timing light, and will run that procedure as soon as I get done w/the compression test/water pump replacement.

I am wayyyyyy up north. About 40 miles south of the tip of the Keweenaw, up in Calumet.

Thanks a lot,
Dan

DannyJ

Cadet

One more question: Well OK 2 questions really: what octane gas should I run in this and what fuel to oil ratio?

Thanks a lot,
Dan

timmathis

Lieutenant

87-92 octaine. @ 50:1 1Pint to 6 US Gallons

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You really should burn premium. The big in-lines do not like today's 87 gas and are subject to predetonation. I'd check your compression first make sure all cylenders are ok. Should be in the 120-130 range. If not a fuel problem and stator has been changed, could be in the power packs. I may be wrong but I don't think the late 80's inlines had many issues with timing getting off.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Serial # may be stamped on the engine itself. Mine is on the starboard side.