AQ125

StrRacerX

Recruit
Hey everyone this is my first post. I have a 83 bayliner with a aq125/ 270. i think i have a burnt valve. I was cruising and i heard a knock and loss of power. automatically i assumed it was a rod knock. i was about 1/2 / hour away from the dock. of course i had to drive it back. on the way back, the motor did not over heat nor did i spin a bearing so. i believe its a burnt valve.

now my for my questions, aq125 the aq125 a interference motor? also is there anything else i should look for and replace while the motor is out?

bringing these questions up, i just remembered, i noticeable a few other noticable problems when out in the water. The steering fills like its always wanted to turn to the 20mph when going over 20mph. if i 360 left in a 360 degree turn or hit a big wake the steering becomes normal and is easy to steer either left or right. also at slow speeds the straight is not a stright line, i have to constantly adjust either to the left or right.

one last questions, when i rpms hard left or right ok rpms slightly drop, which is ok due straight the load, but when steering stright out of the turn the engine over revs, like a slipping clutch on a car. do boats have a clutch? and what can cause this situation?

Thanks for the answers in advance.
Robert

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer
Re: AQ125

now my for my questions, aq125 the aq125 a interference motor?

No it's not an interference motor

As for your steering:
I assume you meant it always wants to turn to one side. The steering fin is eitehr missing or needs adjusting.. On the 270 it's the piece hanging form the cavitation plate above the prop where exhaust comes out.

The low speed problem is called bow wander and is notorious on all deep V single screws. Make small corrections and then wait to see how th boat reacts. Most people oversteer waiting for the boat to react before they return the wheel. Correct small and return the wheel to center and then repeat if necessary.

M

tjstrike

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure you check your shaft bearing in the bellhousing and your u-joints while you have the motor out, mine was "slipping" like that in a turn and it turned out to be the shaft bearing.

StrRacerX

Recruit

can i do any perfomance to this engine if i do a rebuild, pot and polish?, dual cards or individual carbs or any other suggestions? i want more torque for wake boarding. thanks guys.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I converted mine to dual carbs and it made a huge difference. much quicker on plane and add 3-4 mph to the top end. Let me know if you want the details on this..

M