Water in bottom cylinder of 40 yammie

Fully_Loaded1

Seaman
I have a 40 yammie that is an early 90s oil injected motor. It seems I am getting a little water in the bottom cylinder. Do you think it is the head gasket or the base plate gasket. I appreciate the help.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Water in bottom cylinder of 40 yammie

A compression check should give you a good idea. More likely to be the head gasket.

Fully_Loaded1

Seaman

Well I believe the compression is fine because when that cylinder does start firing it runs like a scalded dog until I go back below half throttle then it bogs and runs on 2 cylinders again. I plan on checking it though.

Fully_Loaded1

Seaman

I did some more troubleshooting and talked to a mechanic. He reccomended that I find a good short block and put all my parts in it. Any recommendations? I would prefer not to do that.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Basic testing to determine the problem would make more sense. What trouble shooting have you done? What were the results? Why do you think there is water in the bottom cylinder? No information makes it impossible to help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

this is where a leakdown test is so nice,there are limited ways to introduce water into the cylinder. some cheap and simple others not so cheap nor simple. like Ray says, a bit more info goes a long long way.
is this a saltwater motor ?