77 OMC Stringer STEERING Worm Gear Retainer...

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry... My last post was not specific and I was worried it would get lost...

I'm trying to get the STEERING worm gear retainer out. I've got the worm gear, seals, washers, etc. to go in, but the drive they are going in was one of twins and this one did not have the worm gear in it... Just the bracket, retainer and shaft, sealing the worm gear shaft "space"...

Again, thanks in advance. I will try to find some PB Blaster where I live, but any suggestions are, again, greatly appreciated!

KaGee

Admiral
Re: 77 OMC Stringer STEERING Worm Gear Retainer...

Don't know Duke. :%

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Duke,

Do you have the OMC "Tru-Course steering system? I have the service manual that covers the removal and installation. If you need the pages, let me know and I'll scan them and e-mail em to you.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

kfraser said:
Duke,

Do you have the OMC "Tru-Course steering system? I have the service manual that covers the removal and installation. If you need the pages, let me know and I'll scan them and e-mail em to you.

Thanks, but I've got the manual. (Yes, tru-course) No problem following the instructions, but the problem is corrosion. It would seem that salt water can actually weld parts in place... See thread "Lesson Learned"...