General Tuneup - Replacement of Ignition Components and Overall Health of Engine

bh357

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1963 Merc 1000, and am in the process of tuning her up. Here is a video of a hole shot, which subjectively reflects how the engine is currently running.
http://webpages.charter.net/larsonboat/Misc/Hole Shot.wmv
The motor is on a 1973 Larson XL-5 (14 foot fiberglass). In the video, there are 2 people on board, weighing about 330 lbs combined. There is about 4 gallons of fuel, battery, and a few assorted odds and ends. The prop is a 17 pitch. I have rebuilt the carbs and fuel pumps, and set the needles on the muffs. Occasionally, there is a very slight bog on acceleration. In the video, I had it just over 3/4 throttle until I was up on plane.

My first question is can I get any subjective opinions regarding the performance of this rig? Based on how it appears to run and accelerate in the video, is there anything I should look at?

Secondly, I will be replacing a few ignition components. Two wires are not in the greatest of condition, and the plugs were last replaced sometime (unknown) before I got the motor. Should I go ahead and replace all the wires? How about the coils?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: General Tuneup - Replacement of Ignition Components and Overall Health of En

Re: General Tuneup - Replacement of Ignition Components and Overall Health of En

i did see anything wrong, i usually use full throttle until on plane then feather back. just for kicks, check you compression and post results.

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply to this and my sparkplug thread, tashasdaddy. I will be checking the compression in the not too distant future.
To what extent should I replace ignition components (all wires vs. the 2 rougher condition ones, coils, etc...)?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have a 71 1350 , and this spring i replace the wiring harness on the engine itself, and got luck on ebay and found a new (old stock) controller with the wiring harness, puick up new control cable on ebay, and steering all for less that $500. with a decarb with seafoam, made it almost a new engine. ingition parts can last for ever or fail in the next 5 minutes, you never now. if it make you feel more comfortable with the engine by all means replace. no fun to be out, with the little man in your head saying when's it gonna quit.

studlymandingo

Commander

Holeshot looks pretty good to me for that rig. I would go ahead and replace all the plug wires. I recently got the "build yer own" plug wires from a local auto parts store and replaced my wires. They look and perform great. Go ahead with the plug replacement as well. I wouldn't worry too much about the coils as they generally work or they don't.

Clams Canino

Commander

Run it in the dark and see if the wires sparkle. If they don't and they ohm out OK.. they are good. It ain't like a car.

That hole shot looks fine to me.... if anything is important on the 63 1000 it's making sure one set of points has 90 degrees dwell and the second set fires exactly 60 degrees after the 1st set does. that and the 3 idle screws.

-W