Boat pulls and leans to left...

ransbach

Cadet
Noticed the last 2 times out that the boat was pulling and leaning to the left. Seemed like the boat was unbalanced. All gear and passengers were balanced. What would cause this? I do not have trim tabs. The boat is a 2006 Bayliner 212 4.3 Mercruiser alpha 1 outdrive.

Bob

LFK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat pulls and leans to left...

My boat did that too, at speed but not while going slow. I think it has to do with the torque of the prop. I fixed mine with some trim tabs, just the cheap hydrolic Barrett's. No more list to port side for me.

Robert Pitts

Cadet

ransbach said:
Noticed the last 2 times out that the boat was pulling and leaning to the left. Seemed like the boat was unbalanced. All gear and passengers were balanced. What would cause this? I do not have trim tabs. The boat is a 2006 Bayliner 212 4.3 Mercruiser alpha 1 outdrive.

Bob

ransbach

Cadet

Yes, it anly happens when the boat is up to speed. It did not do this the first few times out.

Any otherway to fix this other than adding trim tabs? It's a new boat

QC

Supreme Mariner

All single propeller systems exhibit some torque to the opposite side of the propeller rotation. If the boat is level, completely loaded, and not underway, then she will list to port under power. One solution is to load her a little heavier to Starboard. This is automatic when you are alone as you, your ownself, are the counterbalance ;)

New or otherwise, IMHO you should add Bennett's or another adjustable tab system. I believe they should be standard on all v-hulls and you will find many more reasons to like them other than the ability to balance loads at different speeds.

Edit: As far as pulling to port is concerned. Does your drive have a small vertical trim tab (fin) just below the ventilation plate and immediately above the propeller? If so, that can be adjusted for the pull, but it will probably move the symptom to another RPM instead. Your owners manual has information on how to adjust it . . .

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes they should be standard.

QC said:
I believe they should be standard on all v-hulls and you will find many more reasons to like them other than the ability to balance loads at different speeds.

northvanwatertaxi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

trim tabs for sure! they help in rough seas too by getting the bow down