Sizing a Window A/C unit

ehenry

Commander
I hate to be a bother on this a/c stuff BUT....will an 8000 BTU window unit be sufficient to cool an insulated 12X20 portable building? I got a real deal on a couple brand new units.

rottenray6402

Ensign
Re: Sizing a Window A/C unit

That's about the size of my bedroom and a 8,000 BTU cools it really well. It doesn't have a real high celing or anything does it? 8)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Depending on insulation, windows, and doors, usually it is 12,000 btu per 400 square feet. There are other formulas, but that one is a basic one that I go by for rough estimates. So you should be just about the right size.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

As long as you close the door! Fewer trips in/out = better efficiency.

ehenry

Commander

soooo, according to SSMAYFLOAT it should be just about right. the building is 240 square feet....8000 btu unit should work just fine.....it'll be insulated with two double pane insulated windows and 8 foot ceiling.

ndemge

Commander

I just built a 16x32 insulated all around

12k btu AC

102 today, 75-80 inside, depending witch end your standing in (bad circulation)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I used to cool our whole 1800 sguare ft.house with insulation and any many thermal windows easily with 2 8,000 btu window units and a couple of fans to circulate things.And the units would cycle even on the hottest days.(Central NY)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

When purchasing a room air conditioner, sometimes called a "window unit", the rule of thumb on finding one large enough to cool properly durng normal conditions is to first calculate the square footage of the area to be cooled. Once that has been done, it will give the approximate capacity for the area to be cooled. For example, a 10' X 20' room which is 200 square feet will require approximately 6,000 BTU of cooling to condition it properly.

Air conditioners are rated in something called "tonage" and there are 12,000 BTU's per ton. A ton of cooling requires 400 CFM of air to cool properly. If an area is 200 square feet, it would require approximately 1/2 ton which is equal to 6,000 BTU to cool it properly and to properly remove humidity. If it is too large, it will be just as inefficient as one that is too small.

kengladd

Seaman

To get an approximate size of BTU's needed, use the formula below.

1. Figure your square footage.

2. Divide by 600

3. Multiply by 12,000

This gives you your amount of BTU's needed.