Year and HP for Evinrude

Nickymotor

Recruit
I have inherited a 5 or 5.5 hp outboard motor. I found a plate on the drive with Evinrude Milwalkee, Wi Serial # 6202DJ 012707. How do i determine the year and HP?

tks,:'(

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Year and HP for Evinrude

6 hp 1972 get manual from kencooke.com item #506671 $34.95. if you plan to keep it this is the best purchase you will ever make. it is a reprint of the OEM service manual,, aftermarkets can be very vague. and not much less in price. plugs are Champion J4C gapped at .030 if doing mostly trolling or slow running you can gap at .040 for better idle speed. fuel mix is 50-1 6 gal. gas, to 16 oz of tcw3 outboard motor oil. if this engine has not been run in a while, you need to email me and ask for" awakening a sleepling outboard" it's in the engine faq section which is down for repair.

tashasdaddy@comcast.net

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Year and HP for Evinrude

Factory Service Manual

Check out this one on ebay.......this is how I got mine. If no one else bids, you are looking at $13 instead of $35+. If you get lucky like I did, the mechanic who had it previously will have left some notes.

You may want to consider slightly richer than 50:1. Those smaller hp motors even up until the early 70's like a little extra oil.