oH what a beautiful mess I have!!!

Was out today on the lake when that black cloud over my head started raining again. I have a 1993 Mercury 135 on a 20 ft deep V. At some point the oil cap on the small oil tank under the cowling broke and 2 gallons of two cycle from the reserve tank blew all over the inside of the cowliing. Any one have any suggestions on how to clean this up? Is there any place that I should not get water on? (such as modules, wires, ect.) PLEASE Help!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: oH what a beautiful mess I have!!!

there is a product called Formula 88 that i found worked real well when you i/o blew oil all over the engine compartment. i foumd it at Advance auto parts for $9.00 a gallon, Lowes carries it for $7.00 a quart.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bummer, dude. anyway, I would think any good solvent/degreaser for most of the engine and cowling, being careful around the wires/modules/carbs. Wires/modules can get wet, but beware corrosion. Carbs should not have any water forced into the intakes. Other than that, its a boat motor...it better be able to take a bit of water now and then. Good luck!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go buy a bunch of cheap tooth brushes.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also try the castrol purple power cleaner. I use it alot for degreasing and heavy duty cleaning.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Automotive brake cleaner is wonderful. It dissolves grease and oil but does not attack plastics, rubber, and paint. With it's high pressure "rattle can" spray, you just spray it till the mess is gone and seconds later the place is clean and dry.

The best I've found is mfgd by Berryman's and is available at Autozone in a white can with red and blue markings.

I also use it as a prelude to painting antiques to get rid of the grease and all.

Mark

Mark

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Don't use carb cleaner..I did and lost some paint....doh on me!!:^

Thanks for all the help, Worked on cleaning yesterday with simple green and water. Seemed to work very well, did however use 100 or so Q-tips.