1998 70hp possible fuel prob need ideas before pulling carbs

imported_timt

Recruit
First time post and not much of a mechanic. My 70hp evinrude starts and sounds like it is running on one cyclinder. After checking compression ( good) , replacing fuel lines,gas tank, filter, and plugs (champion) it is still doing it. Starts up and revs up, but under a load it feels like it's only a 15hp. Today I started looking at the carbs and pulled the drains on the bowls. Top carb drained gas, middle and bottom carb did not. I then left the drains open on the carbs and pumped the ball on the fuel line. Gas only came out of the top carb.

So here's my question, when the drains are open on the carbs (all of them at once) and you pump the fuel line bulb, is there gas supposed to be comming out of carbs drains ?

Am I going to have to pull the carbs off and rebuild ?

It all started when I used Penzoil fuel stabilizer.

Is there any chance the fuel pump is shot and how do you check for a faultly fuel pump ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Timmy

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 70hp possible fuel prob need ideas before pulling carbs

Hi Timmy. You should get fuel out of all three carbs when you squeeze the primer bulb. If not, the floats/needle are probably stuck closed. Sometimes tapping on the side of the carb will free the needle up.....sometimes.

Is this engine is new to you? If it is and it's been setting for a while, I would pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning and overhaul.

I don't know much about Penzoil fuel stabilizer but some stabilizers are also fuel system cleaners. It's possible if the stabilizer is a cleaner also, it could have kicked some junk in the bowls lose in which case you would need to pull the carbs and clean them out.

Right off hand I would not think the fuel pump is bad. I think all your problems are in the carbs.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In full agreement with OBJ. Remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetors (all). Manually clean any and all fixed jets.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tim keep your post together, you just wasted this man valuable time telling you what i have already told you. we hate double post. now go back and read you original post. i'm not typing it again.

imported_timt

Recruit

I finished pulling the two problematic carbs. Both carbs had the float needles stuck in the closed position. I cleaned and fixed the issues with the carbs and all seems good now.
Thanks guys for you're help, but after I reading tasadaddys first reply I figured he had no idea what he was talking about since there obviously was an issue with the fuel system somewhere and spark or compression has nothing to do with the fuel system. Iam not bashing you tashadaddy, you just gave me the inspiration to tear the carbs off and not to bring it into the shop and get charged for idiotic things like you mentioned.
Tashadaddy,as for keeping the posts together, I must have messed up when posting when I went back to edit since the grammer and spelling was awful on the first post. So shut up, it was my first time potatoe head.

For the other guys that have helped out (OBJ and Joe ) Thanks for being curtious and knowledgable on you're first posts.

I apologize for wasting anyones time. Thanks again guys,looks like I'll be able to get out fishing again. If anyone's interested in Fishing reports or hot fishing spots in and around the Palm Coast Florida area, check out liphooked.com I post under the name Mbaiter and have 15 years of knowledge of Pelicer Flats.

tashasdaddy

when you are diagnosing a problem, and trying to help a guy save his money and his motor you get the best info you can. it takes 3 thing for a motor the run compression,spark, then the proper air/fuel mix and delivery.. checking compression and spark are cheap, tearing into carbs and kits get into money. just trying to save you a buck. well you know where you can put the potato. close to your wallet.

Pony

Rear Admiral

WOW, I read the other thread........tash didnt seem to go too far off on a tangent. Consider that a lean condition which could happen due to bad carbs can really mess up compression and make a motor run like crap if not straight up destroy it. Tash was just covering all the bases. Compression and Fuel and Spark are seperate parts, but they all affect each other to a great degree.

tashasdaddy

thanks for the backup. but i have found these tangets have save me a lot of money and time in the long run. believe me, i buy some really crappy motors to restore.