Lower Motor Mount

SATCHER

Cadet
I have twin 1998 90hp Evinrude 60 degree motors E90SLECM. On a recent vacation I had to have starboard motor serviced for water in lower unit (fishing line in prop shaft seal) The mechanic informed me the lower motor mount on both motors were stretched and needed replacing in the near future. I do most of the work to the engines myself with the help of a Clymer manual. Clymer does not seem to address the midsection of the motor.
It seems the worst part about this job is unfreezing the nuts and bolts. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Walker

Captain
Re: Lower Motor Mount

Salt water motors??? Good luck. Use heat, lots of heat.

DHPMARINE

Captain

I'll readily admit our shop is not working on many of the later motors.

We have sold and serviced some 90SLECM motors,and I don't know about engine mounts "stretching"

I always thouht they broke.Replacing a stretched mount would need replacing now.Try looking on the BRP site,some mounts are only blocks of rubber.

DHP

SATCHER

Cadet

Thanks Guys
I have since found out the factory service manual addresses the midsection of these motors. I will try and hunt one down. I will repost if I make any progress.
The mechanic explained that the extra play in the lower mount could push the shift shaft against its seal allowing some water gear case the gearcase.
Satcher
Satcher

SATCHER

Cadet

Walker
When applying heat, should the heat be applied to the bolt or the surrounding area?

Satcher

Walker

Captain

Both, but I like to put most of the heat on the surrounding metal if at all possible. I think your worst problems will be the cover bolts.