Replacing '76 Tri Hull

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1976 15' tri hull with a 65hp merc o/b. We love it as a family boat, (ski, tube, fish) but it's just getting too small. My dad used to have an 18' tri hull,and it would be perfect, I think. But I don't want another 30 year old boat! :%

Checking eBay, I find no tri hulls after 1978 or so. Did they stop being made? I love the stability of a tri hull. Are the more modern bow-riders pretty stable, like for fishing? Any recommendations on boats to look for or brands to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Replacing '76 Tri Hull

The tri-hulls of the 60s, 70s and early 80s are gone. They were very stable, but many of them had a very rough ride in anything other than calm conditions.

If you really love them, look in your area at all of the online classified adds. Ebay, at least in my area, is not often used to sell a boat.

Modern bow riders are nice, but by design, that will not be as stable of a platform (i.e. stand on the side) as your tri-hull. However, they will ride much better.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

fishingdan said:
The tri-hulls of the 60s, 70s and early 80s are gone. They were very stable, but many of them had a very rough ride in anything other than calm conditions.

If you really love them, look in your area at all of the online classified adds. Ebay, at least in my area, is not often used to sell a boat.

Modern bow riders are nice, but by design, that will not be as stable of a platform (i.e. stand on the side) as your tri-hull. However, they will ride much better.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, Dan. That was what I suspected.:'( Buying another 30 year old boat doesn't thrill me, but I guess I may need to. On the other hand, we had our boat out in the middle of a lake last week at 6pm, and the water got rough. It was a miserable ride. Turns out my wife and son were terrified - afraid we were going to die! I was never that concerned, as they were 1'-2' swells, but I was in control of the boat, and my family was not. So maybe I'd better try a v-hull just to see what it's like. We don't do that much fishing, anyway...

Again, thanks.

Dave

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't know what you budget is but the newer DECKBOATS, are a combination deep v hull, tri hull, poontoon boat, they handle and ride like a deep V. when stopped have the stability of the trihull, and the room of many poontoons.. they are great family boats, form 18 to 28 feet. they been around since the mid 90's. our family just went together and bought a 1999 23' Chris Craft deck boat w/ 5/7L volvo penta, it has the sink cooler, shower on the swim platform and enclosed porta potty, rated for 13 people, and very economical for it's size. you can find them as outboards also. ther are also some poontoons out there that may fit your needs, i have friends that have poontoons and fish, ski and tube with them.