Shift/throttle control restoration? FINISHED UPDATE

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
The old surface mounted shifter was getting a bit stiff after 26 years. I did not know whether it was the cables or the cams and levers inside the box that were the culprit.

I disconnected the shift cable at the converter box and the control was still stiff. I then removed the control box from the side panel to seperate the halves to see the state of lubrication inside the box. Along with dealing with the stiffness, I decided to refinish the box while I had it apart.

Along the top and ends of the box, a strip of tape had been applied, ostensibly to keep any water from entering the box at the seams. This tape (approx 1" wide) was a bit decorative in that it was black in the center with chromey kind of strips on the outside edges. Naturally the tape (very deteriorated) had to be pulled off to split the box halves. There was quite a bit of corrosion of the aluminum box going on under the tape. The box was not originally primed well and just had a coat of black paint on the bare aluminum.

I have stripped the box of it's internals, bead blasted it and primed it with zinc chromate. Following that I will give a coat of catalyzed epoxy primer followed by a top coat of Por15 black engine enamel.

My question is this. I have never seen any adhesive tape of this nature. Does anyone else have experience with this and know where a suitable tape can be found. I hate to go to all this work, put it back together, freshly painted and lubed and have water enter the box from the case half seams. As the case halves are a simple butt joint, I can see no other way to seal it up.

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shift/throttle control restoration?

Can you buy a strip or sheet of a thin piece of rubber, cut it to its shape, and sandwich it inbetween the two halves? Kind of like a gasket material? Or even some kind of caulk.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........
I think I'd Skip the Tape,... You already Know it doesn't Work,.......
And seal the Joint up Another Way.......Some sort of Sealer/ Caulking,..??.....

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boomyal, you know the drill. Any post with the words "paint" or "refinish" demands pictures.............help us help you.d:)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

bond-o said:
Ayuh,.........
I think I'd Skip the Tape,... You already Know it doesn't Work,.......

Not so Bondo. The bare aluminum inside the case was in good shape (no corrosion), as were all the steel cams and levers. The corrosion was on the outside of the box, under the edges of the tape that had begun to come un-adhered. Those were areas that retained moisture.

Kevin, here is a picture of the now primed case halves along with the strip of tape. The surface of the tape is a plastic and it had a fairly thick adhesive base. Most of which I had to scrape off the box after I pulled it off.

Shift-ThrottleControl.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

dmarkvid2 said:
Can you buy a strip or sheet of a thin piece of rubber, cut it to its shape, and sandwich it inbetween the two halves? Kind of like a gasket material? Or even some kind of caulk.

Thanks Dmark but that would not work because any thing you tried to put between the case halves would hold them apart resulting in the internal pieces not mating correctly.

Flaursen

Recruit

In situations in the past I have used a trim adhesive and a thin piece of rubber and follow the same line as the tape orignally did this way you can put it together without issue One thing about trim adhesive it works like a contact cement so try to do this in a cool area so the adhesive takes alittle longer to setup

Frank

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

black duct tape, just kidding.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Could try Permatex brand Form-A-Gasket. That nasty dark green stuff should seal it. A thin coat on both mating surfaces, then let dry to tacky before assembling the pieces.

Clean up the mess with acitone afterwards.

Or Boat Life sealer. Boat life takes a few days to cure, but should last many years.

I think either of those products will make a water tight seal on the thin mating edges you have to work with.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

What about some 1" wide pin striping. The good stuff is made of waterproof vinyl and they have some pretty strong adhesive. And it comes in differnt colors.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking like Mark42...use liquid gasket, a marine sealant (not adhesive) or something like that. dont use more tape...it causes more pain than leaving it off.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a roll of "gasket material" ($3 at any hardware store) to make a bunch of gaskets when I rebuilt my motor. You just trace out your part and cut it with sissors. I used a hole punch to make the bolt holes, then I dressed them with Permatex for good measure.

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer

Even a gasket material of 1/16th" thick is too big? Amazing!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

dmarkvid2 said:
Even a gasket material of 1/16th" thick is too big? Amazing!

Well dmark, in the end you were not too far off the track. It turns out that when the internal supports are in full contact, there is about a 1/16 th of an inch gap all the way around the case halves. I solved the problem by running a bead of RTV black silicone into the gap. It is very narrow and you can hardly see it.

Now the box is finished, cleaned, corrosion protected and painted. The internals were all cleaned and re-greased. She just slips and slides backward and forward.

Shift-ThrottleControl2.jpg

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shift/throttle control restoration? FINISHED UPDATE

Looks real nice Boomyal

Flaursen

Recruit

Looks real nice and clean Glad it worked out for ya

Frank

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweeet!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Silicone? Silicone?? Silicone ? ? ? ?

Where you plan on mounting that thing? In your shower stall? ? ? ? d:) d:) d:)

Just kidding. Looks great, will probably hold up fine.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks all. It's a wonder what a little harbor frieght HVLP touch up gun will do. I finally got new stainless bolts and screws, hooked up the cables and mounted it back to the side wall. It looks good and shifts oooooooh so smooth. After 27 years the old grease had turned to tar.