Reverse lock for my Engine..1985 85 hp

bonapetit2

Seaman Apprentice
16.png

bonapetit2

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Reverse lock for my Engine..1985 85 hp

Woops!
I didn't mean to post just the picture...
Anyway what I needed to know is which parts I need to put on the reverse lock onto my engine, so I can use my reverse.
#36 is the reverse lock itself..#37 is a spring and 35 is a nut. Wouldn't I need some sort of shaft or rod for it to lock?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You will need the nut #35, #36 reverse lock, #37 Spring, #39 - Link, #40 spring pin, and the reverse lock pin #41.

#39 connects to the shift mechanism under the hood, so the lock is only actuated when you put the motor in reverse.

You may already have #40 and #41 on your motor.

All parts are still available from Mercury.

bonapetit2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again Roscoe,
much appreciated buddy!

Philip

bonapetit2

Seaman Apprentice

After further inspection of my engine I realized that the reverse lock is installed. It seems to engage by means of a lever located just behind the steering rod. As the boat is now, the lock has nothing to grab onto, so I ordered parts 44-47, which is the stern bracket locking rod w/ handle spring and pin, will this part also act as a means to trim the engine up or down?? It would have been nice if it engaged by itself when put into reverse, but I'll be happy not to have the engine flying up out of the water anymore.

goodlife

Cadet

bonapetit2 said:
After further inspection of my engine I realized that the reverse lock is installed. It seems to engage by means of a lever located just behind the steering rod. As the boat is now, the lock has nothing to grab onto, so I ordered parts 44-47, which is the stern bracket locking rod w/ handle spring and pin, will this part also act as a means to trim the engine up or down?? It would have been nice if it engaged by itself when put into reverse, but I'll be happy not to have the engine flying up out of the water anymore.
yes it will keep motor from flying up in reverse and trim motor . second hole from bottom is good place to start.

bonapetit2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info,
I should be getting the parts in a day or two.