Getting some water in but can't find the source

Help me out here, I have a 90 Cobia w/ a 5.0 (305) and a alpha 1 set up and I am getting about 2 gallons when boat has been ran and left in the water overnite. There are no visable signs that the hull would allow that much. The water is always dirty and has a "motor" smell to it, could it be coming in thru the engine some how? Manifolds? Waterpump? Let me know.....

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Getting some water in but can't find the source

Have to get a mirror and a flashlight and take a good look. No other way to really tell. You should see some tell tale signs like weeping or rust....you can look at it while it's running, but be careful of moving parts!

gohawks

Cadet

If you can pop the seats and engine cover out that is a big help.
I am battling the same type of thing on my alpha I 350.
Get the blige as dry as you can, put the boat in the water and using your yoga skills try to get to a place to see the transom below the engine ???
Mirrors and flashlights are wonderful things.
It may cost you a six pack but have a buddy raise and lower the outdrive.
My leak could be seen this way and it was worse with the outdrive up.
My leak is, but not limited to, the shift cable bellows.
If no water is seen coming in, as mentioned before watch out for moving parts, start the motor and watch below the engine. Maybe it's just the drain plugs or a hose is loose.
Worked for me, I hope it helps.
If your leak is from the outdrive I recommend pulling it soon, I found a real mess in there.

oh-u812?

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you can't find someone to pilot the boat while you look, I'll meet you over at the emory ramp, neighbor.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Bellows, shift boot, exaust Y pipe, drain plug,corroded hole in transom housing,thru hull fittings.
per goh, mirrors,yoga, and flashlights to narrow it down.

Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back, the more i think about it the more I really hope that its just a hose or something sorta simple. I just rebuilt an outdrive last year on another boat, not too much fun really. Especially that dang uv joint bellow. I guess i will ask my wife to help loosin me up before the yoga session, ha.......Thanks Again
Wes

Pollywog, I appreciate the offer, Im in the land of OZ not too far from little emory at all. See you at the sand bar some time .......Red and White Cobia, aka. "Rebels Remedy".

Colo_jer

Recruit

Get it as dry as possible while its in the water, and check it the next day. Water? Hull breach. No water? engine water system issue.

I had one where it would only leak at crusing speed. No yoga required, but it was a little dicey chedking the engine while at speed.

KRS

Banned

water in carpet and seats from day.... drains into bilge.

Any water will smell that way after it's in the bilge, it doesn't need to go through the motor to smell bad.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]
Rebels said:
Pollywog, Im in the land of OZ .......

Huh??

"The Land of Oz" is what we call Australia. Where's your 'Land of Oz"? ;)

Oliver Springs, TN. Georgeous country but can be a little backwards at times. Just caught the nick name because of its initials mostly. I dont think i would ever leave it though.....hope not any way. Too many lakes around here within an hour in any direction. Thanks again everyone for the feed back. Keep the shiney side up ...wait a minute thats a saying for bikers, I am talking to boaters....huh...happy boating. (Thats all i could come up with) I'm headed to the lake for some yoga sessions wish me luck.