Info on Johnson trolling motor?

hobiecat

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I just recently purchased a boat and it had an old '80s Johnson Trollng motor on it. I can't find a model number on it, but from looking at pictures of them on Ebay, it appears to be a 240 or 2400. I've read where people say that theirs has a 12/24v switch on the foot controller. Mine just has a Hi/Low switch (seperate from the On/Off and 3spd Dial). Does this sound like it would be a 240 or 2400 model? Would the Hi/Low switch be the 12/24v switch? Does anyone know what pound thrust this trolling motor would be? Would 12v vs 24v make a difference in the thrust? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
hobiecat

hobiecat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Info on Johnson trolling motor?

I stole this picture off ebay, but my TM looks just like this... only mines alot nicer and cleaner.
243jtm.jpg

Here's a pic of the foot pedal and the switch I was talking about.
243jtm2.jpg

Anyone got any info??

Thanks,
hobiecat

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

How many wires are there off the main harness that would normally connect to the batteries? If there are three or four, you have a 12/24V motor. If only two you very likely have 12V OR 24V motor. You typically can't have both 12 and 24V operation with two wires. It will be one or the other. I have no clue what the HI/LO switch is. I would think if it was a 12/24V switch it would have been labeled that way. I can tell that the orange wire is an extension cord that someone used to make a new harness. That cord probably has three wires in it (black, white, and green). If they are all hooked up to something, this very well may be a 12/24V motor.

hobiecat

Seaman Apprentice

Silvertip, that's just a picture I took off ebay of a trolling motor like mine. My trolling motor doesn't have the orange extension cord on it, it's all original. Mine does have 3 wires on the battery end.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Then you very likely have a 12/24V motor. For 24 volts you need to 12V batteries wired in series. The wires from the motor are probably red, orange and black -- right? If so, here's the scoop: Connect BAT 1 POS to BAT 2 NEG. BAT 2 POS goes to the red wire (24v) on the troller. The black wire from the troller connects to BAT 1 NEG. The orange wire is the 12V feed and connects to BAT1 POS. The HIGH switch setting is probably 24V and LOW setting is 12V. Wonder what brainiac came up with the labels.