Electric Razors... what is your experience

KRS

Banned
I have used disposable head razors for years (10+), and the cost of the heads is getting more and more.

I am looking to purchase an electric and wanted to know what everyone's experience and input was.

What brand to try/avoid, etc.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Electric Razors... what is your experience

Well I have never found an electric that will handle my beard and everytime I have tried one it seemed like real work (not to mention I would get a rash too). Not a pleasant experiance.

I gave my son a Norelco (I think) triple header type and he said it works okay.

aspeck

Staff member

The only ones that worked from me (the wet ones worked best), I needed to change the blades abot every 6 months - at a cost of $60 - $80 per blade change ($20-$28 per head x 3 heads). Decided the disposable head razors gave me a better shave, with less irritation, and less cost in the long run.

rottenray6402

Ensign

The Braun is about the best one I've used but no electric I know of can match even a cheap blade. My skin is real sensitive (ahh) and electrics cause ugly irratations on me.:%

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I am just the opposite as these guys.
Thin beard, skin is sensitive to the shave cream.
Any blade razor shaves too close for me, and causes ingrown whiskers.
Have used Remington and Norelco for years.

Every store has them on sale around Fathers Day, so I bought a new Norelco Triple-header this year. It was a "$35 Special" at Kmart. Has a new head design.
Best shave I've ever had.

It helps to get a can of razor head cleaner that you spray on, supposed to help keep the blades sharp.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only kind I have used is a triple-head Norelco. Got a great shave from it. I imagine that most top brand shavers will do a good job. It's best to replace the blades at least once a year, maybe twice depending on how thick your beard is.

One thing I found that really helped was to use some Williams Lectric Shave and put it on my face before shaving. It certainly helped with the irritation and made for a closer shave. It kind of lubricates your skin and makes the whiskers stand up so they can be cut closer.

aspeck

Staff member

roscoe said:
I am just the opposite as these guys.
Thin beard, skin is sensitive to the shave cream.

Who said anything about shaving cream? I shave in the shower and just use the hot steam and soap - too cheap to buy a can of shaving cream! 8)

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

A good sharp hunting knife and some cold mountain stream water works well too. :devil:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

In my younger days, I used concrete and gravel. Maybe that's why there isn't much left.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I used electric pretty much my whole hairy life. I prefer the Norelco triple head razors. My current one is about 5 years old, the heads cost $28 to replace, I replace them once a year, and get a great shave. I am not a grizzly adams though, I am fairly normal. For those whose facial hair is similar to barb wire, a blade is the better bet. Usually with electrics it takes about a week for your face to get used to it, then its fine.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto on the triple head Norelco. Mine has a built in shaving lotion dispenser that seems to prevent skin irritation(and the wife likes the smell!!)

KRS

Banned

uh, your wife smells your razor?

LadyFish

Admiral

Oh, be a man and try an Epilady.:=

Link

Rear Admiral

LadyFish said:
Oh, be a man and try an Epilady.:=
I had to google "Epilady"
OMG thats a Girlie website!
They even have Flea Zappers!
I'm assuming thats short for Fleamales?

And this was a manly post!

"Link" Ducks and goes back under his safe secure rock for a couple days! ;)

However I'm playing with the idea of buying a electric myself so I will follow this post.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I use a Braun. Been good for me. Gotta agree on the Williams Electra Shave. Without it, I cannot get a good close shave and end up with razor burn. With the electra shave it gives me a closer shave, and lubes the skin so that there is no razor burn.

Growing a beard is nice, but my job just does not permit me having one.:devil:

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I just take a hammer and drive the whiskers to the inside and bite em off... saves money. Actually I have used electrics for years. I use an old Remington dual head and change the screen and blade about every 6 months... about 15 bucks.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I have one of those Braun Synchro systems that cleans when you arent using it. I love t except for having to replace the cleaning soluton every so often. I too use The "Lectric Shave" stuff by Williams and it makes a big difference. One thing I will menton again, like JasonJ said............I takes a couple of weeks of shaving with an electric razor everyday for your skin and beard to get used to it. If you just try it once and think you hate it, thats why. Once you are used to it, its a nice close shave. For me at least its far less irritating than a blade was. I have used the Braun for 2 years now and like I said I love it, and wont go back................but at over $100 its a bit of an investment and you need to know you will actually use it.