New boaters question

benztechbk

Recruit
I just purchased by first boat. I have a Sea Ray 280 sundancer. In my marina I noticed that the majority of the boats have alot of water being pumped out the side of the hull, even on shore power. My boat does not do this. I read in the owners manual that the water may be from the Air Conditioning system. I guess my question is 2 part. Is that really water coming from the AC system? Also, should I be leaving my AC system running? I appreciate the help.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: New boaters question

It probably is from the A/C, well sort of. The A/C system uses raw to cool the condensor unit. Water is pumped in and over the condensor and back overboard. The benefit to leaving the A/C on is, it keeps the humidity down in the boat which reduces the mold and mildew that can grow in the warm dark confines of your cabin uphoulstry.

If you do leave your A/C on make sure your bildge pump systems are in dependable working order. If the hose on the A/C pump were to burst it can pump a lot of water into your boat pretty fast.

astro4prez

Cadet
Re: New boaters question

The A/C units on Sea Rays have a dehumidifier function when heat/cool/(and don't remember the 3rd button) are depressed to keep your cabin dry as Benz says. Just make sure to open the seacock valve in order to allow the raw water to be pumped in. When not in use it is a good idea to close the valves in the bilge to prevent any water intrusion if said hose bursts.
Nice choice by the way, I just upgraded to a 260DA!