WEEDS - Any way to prevent clogging of the water intakes?

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I boat in a WEED INFESTED Lake. Why? Good fishing. But when I take the boat out at eh end of the day, sometimes the intake grills are clogged with weeds.

Is there any way to prevent this?

Motor Yammy F150

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: WEEDS - Any way to prevent clogging of the water intakes?

Thats what they are there for otherwise plugged system.
Without knowing what your running or how you run in the weeds fast slow etc. its difficult to suggest an idea.
When those grills get plugged you could cook your motor you probably should clear them regularly.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

20 years ago we had a horrible problem in Florida freshwater lakes, with Hydrilla. it was taking over the lakes, transferred by not washing down the boat an trailer. there were a lot of powerheads rebuilt because of the clogged pickups. to fish these infested lakes with just had to periodicly tilt the motor and clean the pickups. good for fishing, bad for engines. it got so bad the state sprayed to kill it. also in Florida it is against the law to disturb aquatic plant life. if you have to go in the weeds use a trolling motor, and tilt you engine up.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Try this:

767132ec.jpg

;)

tommays

Admiral

i would thing a water pressure guage would be very usefull in your case as you see a weed problem right away

Tommays

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

jtexas, saw one of those operating, was amazing.