AC Question

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi, question/problem. The compressor runs and the duct get cold but the fan doesn't seem to push air, it appears to be running backwards, is that possible, maybe it's stuck in start? My guess is the start cap is bad. It's a Bryant central AC system connected to a Bryant upflow gas furnace, model 395cav. Any help or ideas would be welcome.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AC Question

Could it be iced up, SS? When were the evaporator/cooling coils last cleaned?

lewkster

Seaman

You can take the bottom access door off then start unit by holding the little switch in. You should be able to see if blower turns ( be carefull of moving parts!) Possible if the fan runs that filter may be dirty or like posted above the coil is plugged. Happens alot, both filters and coils. At least then you have the problem isloated to air flow do to clogged up. Fliters are easy, coils may be time to call the tecks for a cleaning.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi JB & lewkster, thanks for the replies, I checked the coils, their clean and no iceing, the filters are changed every month and are clean. The motor turns but seems to be slow, instead of pushing air to the house it seems to be backing out toward the filter. looks like it can't hit the run position. I turned the unit off/on several times and it finallly runs okay, so I'm going with the starting capacitor. I checked the schematic thinking there might be separate relays for start and run, but only one motor relay, the starting cap is likely the culprit. I'll let the fan run 24/7 until I get the cap. Again, thanks for the help, Ken

BTW JB, I was in Kileen last week to visit my son at Ft. Hood, that was some rain on the 4th.