Submerged Mercury 1150 Emergency

BigEarle

Cadet
Unfortunately my first post is and emergency. my merc was submerged overnight in a freshwater lake here in florida. It was pulled out and the plugs were removed/most of the water expelled. Then it sat for a week like that before I was able to run some alcohal and oil through it. The crank turns fine and the oil is well circulated. I request the expert opinions of the members of this site on whether I should try to start it now or if this will inevitably cause more damage.

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Submerged Mercury 1150 Emergency

Luckily it was freshwater. If it turns over allright, you should be okay to start it up now.

BigEarle

Cadet

I hope that you are right, but I thought that the limit was 24 hours. I believe I exceeded that by a lot.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

FOLLOWING COMPLETE SUBMERSION

Submerged engine treatment is divided into three distinct problem areas.. The most critical is submersion in salt water;

the second most critical is submersion while running,

Salt Water Submersion (Special Instructions)
Due to the corrosive affect of salt water on internal engine components, complete disassembly is necessary before any attempt is made to start the engine.

Submerged While Running (Special Instructions)
When an engine is submerged while running, the possibility of internal engine damage is greatly increased If, after engine is recovered and with spark plugs removed, engine fails to turn over freely with rewind starter, the possibility of internal damage, such as bent connecting rod and/or bent crankshaft, exists, If this is the case, the power head must be disassembled.

Submerged Engine (Fresh Water) (Plus Special Instructions)
1.. Recover engine as quickly as possible.
2 Remove cowling and remove spark plugs.
3. Remove carburetor float bowl cover (or bowl).
4 Flush outside of engine with fresh water to remove mud, weeds, etc. DO NOT attempt to start engine if sand has entered powerhead, as powerhead will be severely damaged. Disassemble powerhead to clean components.
5 Get as much water as possible out of powerhead. Most water can be eliminated by placing engine in a horizontal position with spark plug holes down and operating rewind starter.
6. Pour alcohol into carburetor throat (alcohol will absorb water). Again operate rewind starter
7. Turn engine over and pour alcohol into spark plug opening(s) and again operate rewind starter
8. Turn engine over (place spark plug opening down) and pour engine oil into throat of carburetor while operating rewind starter to distribute oil throughout crankcase
9 Again turn engine over and pom approximately one teaspoon of engine oil into each spark plug opening Again operate rewind starter to distribute oil in cylinders.
10.. Reinstall spark plugs and float bowl cover (or bowl)
11.. Attempt to start engine, using a fresh fuel source. If engine starts, it should be run for at least one hour to eliminate any water in engine
12.. If engine fails to start, determine cause (fuel, electrical or mechanical) DO NOT allow engine to remain unstarted for more than 2 hours, as serious internal damage will occur, If unable to start engine in this period, disassemble engine and clean all parts and oil as soon as possible.

1A-4 - GENERAL INFORMATION

BigEarle

Cadet

From that, it looks like dissasembly is necessary. Any pointers?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I am no mechanic or expert by any means and have no experience with this problem. I just thought you'd like to know what the manual states.

Good luck!

Clams Canino

Commander

Just start it and see how it sounds.... the sooner the better. If it did real damage you'll need a powerhead anyway as the crank is the 1st to go. You can't damage it further.... it's already dead or alive.... time will tell.

-W

Clams Canino

Commander

But HURRY to start it... I don't care WTF Mick Jagger said: Time is NOT on your side. :D

-W

cpowell

Seaman

Holy Cow!!!
I admit that I am the dummy here but how do you drop a motor in the water? What happened???
This makes me really nervous....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

in floirda if you leave a boat in the water uncovered, and with out an automatic bildge pump, they can fill with rain water rather quickly. even on the trailer with the drain plug left in. many an inboard/outboard engine has bit the dust that way.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Happens all the time don't feel bad.