Sea King Parts 20 hp: part two

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went and got my 20hp motor back from the "mechanic". He said that parts for the carb. wasnt available and he couldn't get the motor to fire. He also said my motor was an early to mid 1960's model. Here is the model and serial #'s from my motor, can someone give me year of manufactor and advise as to parts?
Model # VWB27020A 07X
Serial # 10693

Also, which manual should I be most satisfied with? I have seen Clymer and Seloc, which one is the best for rebuilding carb. etc.?

Thanks,
Eterry

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea King Parts 20 hp: part two

My info indicates a 70/71 motor Built by Chrysler based on the 202 or 203 HA,HBHD,HE,HF or HG .You might find a carb kit at Fairwinds Marina.It uses a Tillotson MD carb.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

go here
http://www.chryslercrew.com/
they have a west bend 2 to 40 hp for 20 bucks on cd or 15 bucks if printed.

Does the carburator look like this
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/images/CHRYSLER/FOB2982/6A.png

If so the carb kit number is 18-7037 and is availible from NAPA

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I am going to order a manual this date. On the starboard side of the carb. is this: MD142A
I assume that is some how a # indicating its a Tilotson MD carb., am I right ?

Other than a kit for the carb what else should I look for in getting it running?
thanks
Eterry

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, Eurolarva, the carb looks a lot like the pic you provided. I copied it for reference.
Eterry

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

From your previous post you stored this for a long time with the old gas in it and when you last ran it the motor ran okay. I am going to assume you have both compression and spark. It would not hurt to test spark on each cylinder first.

To attempt to start this motor you should get a small spray bottle and put premixed 50 to 1 gas oil in it. Spray this mix into the carburator, Choke the motor and see if it will sputter or run while continuine to spray mix into the carb. If so the areas you want to concentrate on are carb rebuild and fuel pump rebuild.

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey all, I called Iboats and they said there were not sure if part # 18-7037 would fit my carb. What gives???? They referred me to ?Seirra? at 1-800-648-3976 tech support and I called them a few minutes ago. Seirra said that 18-7037 goes to a Chrysler not a Sea King. I told them I am sure it IS a Chysler made for Sea King but they said it was a different part that they didnt carry. They recommended me to Laingesoutboards.com, I located them but at this point I want to speak to a person and I cant get through to them on land line.

So what the hell is going on here? Will 18-7037 work?
Will Chrysler parts for my year model fit, or does it have to be Sea King specific? Its kinda early for me as I work second shift and I am a little fuzzy yet but I dont wanna order the wrong parts and they not work. Somebody Help Please.
Thanks

Oh and by the way, I also called the number at chryslercrew.com and left a message with a return # twice, once yesterday around 1 and then a few minutes ago and have heard nothing back.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If you have a NAPA near you order the 18-7037 kit. Take it home and match the parts to your carb. If they work you are okay. If not you can return the kit to NAPA and say you got the wrong one. The kit is a generic that is suppose to work for MD, TC and Wb carbs. Of all the parts in the carb kit the only parts that concern you are the seat and the needle and probably the float gasket and the manafold gasket. The rest is just cleaning the carb.

My chrysler is from 1967 and I order parts for a 1976 and they all work fine. It is a crap shoot but for 15 bucks it is not a total loss. Does the fuel pump I posted above look like the one on your motor? If it does chances are the carb kit will work.

Good Luck

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called napa and they said part # 18-7037 is special order only and is a one way part, no return. I kept calling and researching and located a kit at Franz Marine, associated with chryslercrew.com. Franz had a kit and will ship me one for 33.00. I didnt think to ask him what the part # was, but I order it and is on its way.
I looked at the fuel pump and your pic doesnt look a lot like mine, but maybe I am looking at the wrong thing.

I learned that Chryslercrew is at a Chrysler Marine convention so is out of the office til monday. I have the timing of the Navigator on the Titanic!!
Will keep posting as problems arise.

Thanks for the assist

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yeah, one more dumb question.... I assume you check for spark the same way we did back home when I was a kid. That is, to take a plug out of cylinder and turn motor over and check for spark, either with a plastic handle screwdriver or watching for spark on plug itself. If I am missing something here let me know.
Thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Yeah or have your kid hold it :D. The fuel pump I posted above may be similar to yours except you probably have a glass strainer bowl on it.

When you get the kit from Franz please post the number on it. Also post if it is a sierra part or maybe a quicksilver part number.

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the carb. kit in the mail today. It is an original Tillotson service parts kit # RK-982 for the MD-142c. It appears to have been on a shelf a while, but is complete with diaphragm & gasket kit, main fuel jet w/ gasket, main gasket kit, and un-named kit containing needle & seat, springs and other parts I can't identify. I am waiting on the arrival of the service manual CD and will jump on the carb.

If anyone needs a similiar kit Franz told me he had a couple more of them, FWIW.

Superdave24

Recruit

This is great information - I just aquired one of these motors a couple days ago and this is EXACTLY what i am going to have to do- my cowl was packed with an old mouse nest and its been SEVERAL years since it ran finally vacuumed out the carb and stuff , seems to have compression so well see...

I do have a questioon as to the age and make - again a Sea King 20 by Wards Model VWB28921A 86X, serial# 10061 any help would be appreciated and finding this forum is going to help A LOT

one more question: I plan to put this on a 11' plywood hydroplane that doesnt have a whole lot of extra boyancy - will this 75 lb. beast sink it or just keep it on plane and don't stop and I'll be fine ?

Thanks in advance everyone

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It is a Chrysler 69. I think I would test the Hydroplane with 75 lbs of water in a bucket(s) That way if it sinks it won't take it to the bottom.If its close you may have to move forward in the case of rapid decelleration.