loud bang noise

sal e g

Recruit
just intalled a new/rebuilt 4.3 v6 i/o mercruiser in my 92 bayliner. the block came with the heads installed. both exhaust manifolds are new. engine runs great and idle is real smooth. however, i'm hearing a loud bang noise which to me sounds like a piston hitting the valve only when exceeding 3500 - 4000 rpms. noise is not constant it comes and goes. under 3k rpms all is smooth. the only thing not new on the boat it the intake manifold and the drive of course. any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: loud bang noise

Welcome to iboats sal. Ya got a lot of hardware there for someone to guess the source of a noise. If pistons were hitting valves, the engine would very quickly fail to run.

Sometimes you need to look a little closer yourself, to tell where exactly a noise is coming from. One of these is very helpful and a near necessity for your toolbox.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41966

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sal, Is the outdrive the source of the bang? If so, the gears might be slipping.

sal e g

Recruit

Chris1956 said:
Sal, Is the outdrive the source of the bang? If so, the gears might be slipping.

The noise is really loud from the right side of the engine. doesn't sound like the drive but i'm wondering if the drive is causing the knock in the engine.