1962 Johnson 10 hp fuel supply

moxieman

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have a 1962 Johnson 10hp model # QD-23-A. The motor seems to be not getting enough fuel. The fuel is getting from the tank to the motor, but I dont know where the problem is after that.
When the motor is running it'll slowly bog down and will not rev, and then if you either pull the choke out, or pump the bulb the motor will rev. i don't know what the problem is, Also is their a fuel pump rebuild kit????

Thanks, Mike

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 1962 Johnson 10 hp fuel supply

If you can choke or pump the bulb and she runs OK, it points to a fuel delivery problem. Just for grins, check for leaks at any fuel line connection too. You can test the pump flow by removing the fuel line from the carb. Place this line into a can and pull the rope. You should see good fuel flow.

If you havn't internally inspected the carb, nows the time. That carb is easy to open,clean the internal passages with carb cleaner , followed with compressed air. Check the float needle for proper sealing. I just finished a '62 5.5hp that had a carb so crusty , I'm surprised it ran at all.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I just finished a '62 5.5hp that had a carb so crusty , I'm surprised it ran at all.

I know all about that8)8) The carb on my 62 was pretty bad.

Mine ran with similar symptoms to yours moxieman, until I cleaned it. Would not run with out the choke out.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

all the parts you need are available at laingsoutboards.com. about a 3 day delivery.