Next Prop Selection after 2 tries

Nuckle

Cadet
New to the forums, looks like a lot of good info here. I searched for my specific topic but did not see anything. So here it goes.....

I have a 2004 Caravelle 212 Interceptor with the 350MAG Mercruiser. I bought the boat about a month agao and when I purchased it was fitted with a 19 pitch mercury vengance prop. I am sure it was used to pull skiers and what not. I liked the wholeshot that the boat had but it would allow the motor to spin at like 5400 RPM WOT, about 59MPH (speedo) 53MPH (GPS). The thing I did not like is that 5400RPM is 200 RPM over what is recomended. So I fished around on ebay and found a great deal on a 21P laser II and it got my RPM range where it needs to be but the boat takes forever to get planned out [62MPH Speedo and 57 GPS @ 5000RPM]. I dont think the pitch is the issue so much as the prop itself. The boat has very little lift and will not cruise very well below about 30MPH (Speedo). So I am looking for another prop. I want to find something that will get out of the hole somewhere between these two props but still has 60MPH plus top end. It is also imperative that I keep my WOT RPM at around 5000 - 5200 with 5000 being the prefered.

So now that I have babbled on do you all have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Nuck

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Next Prop Selection after 2 tries

What kind of load did you have in the boat to get the 5400RPM....? Light load, Normal, heavy, etc...

Nuckle

Cadet

I average load I guess. 3 total passengers and about half a tank of fuel (35gal tank).

I have been looking at the 4 blade props. I am wondering if I stuck with the 21 but went 4 blades if that would get the results I am looking for. Revolution 4 maybe?

Nuck

Nuckle

Cadet

I could not find the edit button so I am sorry for the duplicate post.

Has anyone had expieriance with the Laser II or the Revolution 4? Anyone know the differences between these two props on top of my already posted question?

Nuck

Nuckle

Cadet

Can someone give me a quick explination of the difference between 3,4 and 5 blade props. I have read data on them and understand what the manufacturer wants you to think but would like real world real people to give their aopinions.

Thanks,

Nuck

walleyehed

Admiral

First, the LaserII is built for light, fast boats such as bassboats, and the Rev 4 is built for very heavy, High HP boats.
I think you are in the class of needing a large blade area design, but I'm not sure the rev 4 will do what you want, and it is at the oposite end of the spectrum in design, from the Laser, which really is not a good match for the type of rig you have.
I know you won't find a prop to get the hole-shot you need and get 60MPH+...that part won't happen.
If you stick to 21 in a 4-blade, you will be well below your recommended RPM, and on an I/O, the more blades you add, the slower the boat is at a given RPM in most cases.
A 21 in either a Lexor (Solas) or a Mirage would be better suited if you want hole-shot and a "decent" speed.

Nuckle

Cadet

I talked to an engineer at murcury today and several other boat dealers. Walleye is correct, the laser II is junk for a boat like mine. Also, I thought a while back to your question about the load and I didnt pay a ton of attention when I had people in the boat. It was only when I was alone and down to about 1/4 tank of gas that I was really watching the tach. So the boat having a light load could be the driver. My plans are to put the 19P vengeance back on the boat and sell the 21P laser II as fast as possible. If I still feel that the 19P has a few too many RPM's then I will have 1" of pitch added at a prop shop. The mercury engineer told me that the vengeance was a good prop for my boat and is actually the one that came on it from the factory. He also gave me the same advice as walleye on my next prop choice should be a mirage. He did not like the idea of a 4 blade because I would lose a good bit of top speed and gain more bottom end than I need with not pulling skiers.

It has been an informative day. Thanks for the advice!

Nuck

walleyehed

Admiral

Thank you for confirming my advice!! That's nice to hear...
You didn't happen to talk with Chris Drees did you?

Nuckle

Cadet

That is really funny, I talked to a chris on both another forum as well as the merc engineer. I do not have a last name but both where Chris's. On top of all that my real first name is also Chris LOL.

Thanks for the help wall, I will post an update after this weekend for others to learn from.

Nuck / Chris

walleyehed

Admiral

I'm sure it was Chris Drees...
He is the General manager of the Merc prop division and is a pleasure to work with. Very knowledgable as well...