disassembled my stern drive *couple pics*

mtfoyre

Seaman Apprentice
I have 2 faults:

One is an extreme curiousity. I will take almost anything apart in the interest of learning how it works.

The second is frugality. If I can fix it myself, even if it may take a little longer, I will make an attempt.

Long story short: two weeks ago while trying to figure out why my boat stalled and wouldn't start back up last time on the water I heard a horrible grinding noise coming from the drive. I hadn't heard this before when it was out of the water.

Yesterday I decided to get brave and remove the drive from the boat. I brought it into the garage and tried to hand turn the ball gear and couldn't. I mean.....it was VERY hard to spin and the sound of friction was very apparent.

So I started to break the drive down even further. I ended up determining the issue is inside the upper gear assembly. When trying to rotate the gears it is nearly impossible to do.

"Okay," I think to myself, "must have a disintegrated bearing or chewed up gear." The horizonal gear is partially visible and looked okay.

upperassy2.jpg

I press on trying to remove the gears from the housing. Well, that's where I've hit a roadblock. It seems I can't get it apart any further.

upperassy1.jpg

I removed the four bolts on the bearing retainer (pictured above) but it wouldn't budge. I was a little fearful of using too much force. Don't want to break it, ya know.

Any tips someone can offer? If I just need to take a crowbar to it and force it out I will, but I don't know how brittle it may be after 38 years (yes, it's an ooooooold boat).

In happier news, I'm pretty certain this is what caused my problems on the lake. Since this seems to spin with the motor whether in gear or neutral the large amount of resistance it's causing could conceivably cause the motor to crank slowly or not at all.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: disassembled my stern drive *couple pics*

My best educated guess is that you had a seal problem there and either lost most of the oil or took on a bunch of water.

Here's a basic drawing.
http://www.sterndrive.info/omc_parts_drawing_upper_stern_drive.html
The 4 cap bolts are all that hold the top shaft in. The bottom shaft is held in by the 4 water pump bolts. Sounds like you need some heat and a friendly pursuader... like a hammer puller to free that up. Just be cauteous that you do not do damage to the ball gear... it looks like it's in good shape.

mtfoyre

Seaman Apprentice

KaGee said:
The bottom shaft is held in by the 4 water pump bolts.
Really? I was trying to figure out if anything else was holding it in or not. The bearing housing didn't seem to have anything else holding it but like I said - I was trying to be somewhat gentle with it.

Good info and good link. I was using the exploded view from BRC (I think that's it) and it is basically that exact drawing. d:)

If I can't get it apart I'll find someone local that can. I only recently bought the boat and don't know many of the local service companies.

mtfoyre

Seaman Apprentice

*quick update*

I called the only local repair shop I know of and found out I got lucky.

Turns out 1967 (year of my drive) was a transition year for OMC. If my top cover been held on by 4 bolts he said there is nothing available for it...but mine has 5 so parts can be found.

*phew* feel like I just dodged a bullet :$

mtfoyre

Seaman Apprentice

email sent 8)

KaGee

Admiral

It's the O-rings on both the top and bottom caps that keep them stuck. If they were installed right, the rings were goobered up with sealant.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Those pivot trunions look a bit under maintained mt. Be sure to keep them lubed up.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Had the same "stuck" issue with my ball gear retainer on the intermediate housing. I used a screwdriver under the ball gear (LIGHTLY) prying up, moving around in a circle around the ball gear, gently rocking up, moving around in a circle, rocking, moving, etc, etc, etc...

Good luck and be gentle, but PERSISTENT!!! While you have the "5-bolt" cover, parts are getting harder to find and a little $$, so every part you can keep, I strongly urge you to do so!

mtfoyre

Seaman Apprentice

DukesFin said:
Had the same "stuck" issue with my ball gear retainer on the intermediate housing. I used a screwdriver under the ball gear (LIGHTLY) prying up, moving around in a circle around the ball gear, gently rocking up, moving around in a circle, rocking, moving, etc, etc, etc...

Good luck and be gentle, but PERSISTENT!!! While you have the "5-bolt" cover, parts are getting harder to find and a little $$, so every part you can keep, I strongly urge you to do so!

You were actually able to remove the guts? I just wanted to be certain it was mainly age and probably some sealant holding it together.

If it will definitely come apart then I will keep trying. Thanks for the tip
bowdown.gif

And yes, I will keep every part I can because it only makes sense they'll be harder to find. Do you currently own a boat with this drive on it?