268 sundancer

darimont

Cadet
I'm looking at a 1989 with a 7.4 that has 650 hours on her. The boat is a one owner boat and looks like new even the bottom (no bottom paint). The boat has always be trailer and never left in the water for more the a week or two. It also comes with a 3 axle trailer in great shape. They also have a carry on A/C unit. My question is they are asking $22,000 for her, does this seem like a good price? It has been well taken care of. I'm a little concerned about the engine hours. Any comments?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: 268 sundancer

Is this a fresh water or salt water boat ? Does it have raw water cooling or closed cooling ?

darimont

Cadet

Commander, thanks for the reply.

Its a fresh water boat. It has never been in salt water. It has raw water cooling.

darimont

Cadet

Sorry Reel Poor, I called you commander above, didn't notice it was a ranking name.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Average retail, base price no options or trailer is around 14,000. I would say if the owner has service records and maintainance is up to date it probably isn't a bad deal. If the manifolds/risers, all drive boots, and water pump have been replaced, electrical wiring, and uphoulstry are in basically like new condition it might be ok. I would definately say hire a surveyer and a mechanic to look over the boat. Price seems a little high, but market value is what drives the marine industry.

darimont

Cadet

Reel said:
Average retail, base price no options or trailer is around 14,000. I would say if the owner has service records and maintainance is up to date it probably isn't a bad deal. If the manifolds/risers, all drive boots, and water pump have been replaced, electrical wiring, and uphoulstry are in basically like new condition it might be ok. I would definately say hire a surveyer and a mechanic to look over the boat. Price seems a little high, but market value is what drives the marine industry.

The boat is a one owner boat. They have all maintainance records. The lower unit was done 3 years ago and had new bellows put on. The manifolds and risers were replaced 7 years ago. It looks like the lower unit was serviced every year, but I only saw that the bellows were replaced once and so was the manifolds/risers in the 17 years they have had it. I looked at all the paper work. Seems strange that the bellows were only replaced once. The owner doesn't recall them being done more then once, does this seem right for 17 years?

I was thinking of making them an offer of 20,000 after a test ride if everything checks out.

Thanks Again
Dan

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The drive was probably done because the driveshaft bellows failed and let water into the drive. The manifolds are due again.

When taking a test ride dont just go for a short trip. Be sure ALL guages work properly, blowers operate, and no fuel smell. Check all fluid levels before and after the test ride, also noting any water/fluids in the bildge or floating around behind the boat. Take the boat out and run it hard and long enough that any overheating or oil pressure problems will show up. Note any shaking/flexing of the hull, decks, windows and doors. Flexing is a sign of structure damage i.e. rotten stringers and structure. Flip every switch and turn every knob making sure things operate properly and not momentarly. A good Surveyor is worth their weight as is a good tech.

BTW another little hint, when you do go look at the boat get there early and unexpected so you can hear and see how the engine cranks, runs, and sounds cold (open the engine cover on start up). Many sellers will preheat engine so they appear to crank and run better, as they are hot and start easier.

Good luck.

darimont

Cadet

Reel Poor,
Well I went for test ride yesterday. It has been on the trailer since last fall and hasn't been run until my test ride, it started right up and I checked to make sure it was cold first. We were out for about an hour and I ran it hard. It ran very good and strong. It was showing 40 mph at 4600 rpm. Every thing in the boat works that I could test and I didn't fee any flexing even when turning and going over my own wake. The only problems I found was the drive shaft at the motor were it goes into the lower unit had a little oil around it at the seal and I asked him how much oil he has put in it in the last year and he said about 1/2 inch in the res. in the last two years, so its not leaking bad. The other thing I found was on the side of the boat about 18" above the water line some cracking in the gel coat. I asked about this and he said that a guy that put a trailer and boat next to him bumped into it backing his up. It doesn't seem bad and you have to really look for it and its only surface gel coat cracks (spider cracks) other then that the thing is in all most perfect shape. It has a full winter cover thats new along with a one year old camper top with screens. The interior is in perfect shape also along with all the teak wood. It almost looks to good. I live about 100 miles from where its at and there is not a surveyor close to get it done. I think i'm ok on the mechanical side.

Thanks again for the help
Dan

darimont

Cadet

Reel Poor,
Well I went for test ride yesterday. It has been on the trailer since last fall and hasn't been run until my test ride, it started right up and I checked to make sure it was cold first. We were out for about an hour and I ran it hard. It ran very good and strong. It was showing 40 mph at 4600 rpm. Every thing in the boat works that I could test and I didn't fee any flexing even when turning and going over my own wake. The only problems I found was the drive shaft at the motor were it goes into the lower unit had a little oil around it at the seal and I asked him how much oil he has put in it in the last year and he said about 1/2 inch in the res. in the last two years, so its not leaking bad. The other thing I found was on the side of the boat about 18" above the water line some cracking in the gel coat. I asked about this and he said that a guy that put a trailer and boat next to him bumped into it backing his up. It doesn't seem bad and you have to really look for it and its only surface gel coat cracks (spider cracks) other then that the thing is in all most perfect shape. It has a full winter cover thats new along with a one year old camper top with screens. The interior is in perfect shape also along with all the teak wood. It almost looks to good. I live about 100 miles from where its at and there is not a surveyor close to get it done. I think i'm ok on the mechanical side.

Thanks again for the help
Dan

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Sounds like it may be a decent buy. I'm not quite with you on the drive shaft seal unless your talking about the front seal on the drive. Either way I would recommend repairing it if you get the boat.

Good luck and keep posting maybe you to can help someone on the forums who may need some assistance.

darimont

Cadet

Reel Poor,
Its the seal where the shaft from the rear of the engine were it goes into the drive. Its leaking at the drive seal not the rear engine main seal. I ended up getting it for 19000$ Im,. I'm good with the purchase, when I 19 19 didnt didn't bauk probable, probalbly

Thanks again, I 'll let you know how it goes.

Dan

darimont

Cadet

Don't know what happened to the post above, got screwed up for some reason, so here it is again.

Reel Poor,
Its the seal where the shaft from the rear of the engine were it goes into the drive. Its leaking at the drive seal not the rear engine main seal. I ended up getting it for $19000. I'm good with the purchase, when I offered 19 he didn't bauk , probably could have done better.

Thanks again, I 'll let you know how it goes.

Dan