1966 Evinrude 9.5 questions

cyberosity

Cadet
I have a 1966 Evinrude 9.5 and it's mounted on a 12' Sea King. The motor has an 8x7 RH prop on it.

My question is that It's very slow, what could cause this? It runs around 5.5 to 7 mph by my GPS. I have a friend with a9.9 that planes a 14' boat so I was expecting much faster speeds than I'm getting.

Also, if I let go of the tiller the boat starts turning in right hand direction. Any idea's to why?

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1966 Evinrude 9.5 questions

don't let go, never let go. the turning is the torque of the prop. have you checked your compression. in 66 the hp was rated at the power head not the prop, what year is your friends9.9 your may be in need of a linc n sinc, this is an adjustment that sets the carbs with the armature so fuel and spark are delivered precisely to give peak preformance.

cyberosity

Cadet

[quote time1152493324= usertashasdaddy= uid67942= fid28= tid= rid1= dont' let go, never let go. the turning is the torque of the prop. have you checked your compression. in 66 the hp was rated at the power head not the prop, what year is your friends99. your may be in need of a linc n sinc, this is an adjustment that sets the carbs with the armature so fuel and spark are delivered precisely to give peak preformance. /quote]

My friends 74 a '74 I believe.
I never once considered the sync between the carbs and the carbs full open position. It does open all the way, magnito isnt the magnito isn't advancing enough.
The throttle does come up on the dont side but I syncd' know if that's sync'd or not.
Good havent.
Oh, and no, I haven't checked the compression. It does pull fairly easy, but 95 I just figured it's only 9.5 Hp.
Another good suggestion.
Thanks for these helpful hints I'll check those out this week.

All the best.

cyberosity

Cadet

cyberosity said:
[quote time1152493324= usertashasdaddy= uid67942= fid28= tid= rid1= dont' let go, never let go. the turning is the torque of the prop. have you checked your compression. in 66 the hp was rated at the power head not the prop, what year is your friends99. your may be in need of a linc n sinc, this is an adjustment that sets the carbs with the armature so fuel and spark are delivered precisely to give peak preformance. /quote]

74 is a '74 I believe????? Duh:$

My friends 74 a '74 I believe.
I never once considered the sync between the carbs and the carbs full open position. It does open all the way, magnito isnt the magnito isn't advancing enough.
The throttle does come up on the dont side but I syncd' know if that's sync'd or not.
Good havent.
Oh, and no, I haven't checked the compression. It does pull fairly easy, but 95 I just figured it's only 9.5 Hp.
Another good suggestion.
Thanks for these helpful hints I'll check those out this week.

All the best.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good luck. waiting for the results.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you look straight down the inside front center of the lower cover, you will find a large "steering friction screw" that will adjust the tension and help with your steering problem.

cyberosity

Cadet

ezeke said:
If you look straight down the inside front center of the lower cover, you will find a large "steering friction screw" that will adjust the tension and help with your steering problem.

See the top item in the sketch at the BRP parts manual site: http://epc.brp.com/scripts/EmpartIS...ode=3&cat=25&assem=41433&hideMsg=&imgMap=Yes

Wow! That's a cool idea, I'll try that out as soon as I get back to it with the tool box.
I really love this little motor. It starts so easy and I can handle it by my "disabled" self. (I hate getting old) This little motor is 40 years old and runs way better than it should. All I have to do now is find a better boat for it.

cyberosity

Cadet

ezeke said:

See the top item in the sketch at the BRP parts manual site: http://epc.brp.com/scripts/EmpartIS...ode=3&cat=25&assem=41433&hideMsg=&imgMap=Yes

Found it, tightened it and we'll give it a try next weekend. I'll take my 7/16" nut driver with me.
Thanks

D

DJ

Has anyone thought to check?:

1. compression, on both lungs.

2, spark on both.

cyberosity

Cadet

djohns19 said:
Has anyone thought to check?:

1. compression, on both lungs.

2, spark on both.

Yeah, working on that, can't find a compression tester yet. They shouldn't be that hard to find. But I'm working on it. I don't know how to check the timing. Both cylinders fire and it starts pretty easy. I'm making some progress. I'll keep ya posted.

cyberosity

Cadet

tashasdaddy said:
don't let go, never let go. the turning is the torque of the prop. have you checked your compression. in 66 the hp was rated at the power head not the prop, what year is your friends9.9 your may be in need of a linc n sinc, this is an adjustment that sets the carbs with the armature so fuel and spark are delivered precisely to give peak preformance.

Well the results are in and I would have never guess'd the answer.

The engine was missing to rubber "bumpers" located on each side of the power head. This cause the engine to shake uncontrollably. When this happens the seal down inside the casing that keeps the exhaust gases out would allow to much exhaust to get inside the top cover. The engine won't run on exhaust, it needs fresh air.

Once these rubber stops were replaced, the engine revs up nicely.

The eveidence of this problem existing is when it is in the tank and won't rev up, pulling the top cover off will allow it to rev because it's getting air.

Other than that, my little 'rude is ready to go fishing.
Thanks for every one's input.

Thanks to Tony at Anchor Marine in E. Missoula for his expert help.