1978 Evinrude 115 problems found.

First, please excuse the long post.

On my second trip out the motor ran great at half throttle for over an hour with 4 adults on board. Moments after I went to 3/4 power the motor dropped off, I increased to WOT but it was at half power. Like it had water or trash in the fuel or one carb was not working. I turned back down river to go home. After 10 minutes or so, it came back to life. (the bad power pack had cooled off) I throttled down to 1/2 and we made it back to the landing. Similar incident on the third trip out.

After weeks of tinkering, a new coil and a used power pack, new plugs, fuel pump overhaul and a carb cleaning, I took the boat out for the 4th time on the 4th of July weekend. It ran super!

It would not steer at anything above 1/4 throttle with my son & I side by side. We both weigh around 260. My, son had to sit in a rear seat so the boat would balance and steer. After we got that worked out, I increased the power. I had also installed a hydrofoil and adjusted the trim tab. It handled great after he moved aft.

My son said the engine sure sounded great and the boat was running fantastic! Just then, the motor dropped to half power for about 45 seconds and then died. It started right back up and died the moment I added power. After several times of this it was flooded.

It was now dark and my spot light was in the truck. [Just a short trip at dusk] We rode the tide and paddled [using my new paddles purchased the night before] the 16 Ft. ski boat about a 1/2 mile and beached it at a private landing. Thank God for cell phones! The Wife ferried my son to get the truck. Next morning it fired up like it was new, but we went fishing in his new Tracker!

That night I searched this site and found the same problem several times. The power packs are failing. The one I removed was the only good one I had.

I took it to a shop when we got back here after the holiday. We ran it WOT in the tank until it failed. Packs go dead, no spark. After they cool off, they work again.

My rough idle problem was due to the throttle cam being about 1/8" out of adjustment. It was pushing on the linkage just enough to make it run perfect for 15 seconds and then cough. It would repeat this forever at idle. After proper adjustment, it purrs now. Waiting on new packs.

[ Tonight I found & removed 100# of sand in bags and a 25# river anchor in the back of the bow storage compartment behind a fabricated plywood wall while running new wires. If I had not been so far up under the bow, I would have never seen it ]

I hope all this info helps another boater. I was helped by the old posts and answers I got from my posts on this problem. Thanks for all your help. Be safe!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1978 Evinrude 115 problems found.

havingto have 500+ lbs on one side stiil concerns me. you may have water logged foam . on the port side. when you get the power packs test it again.

Re: 1978 Evinrude 115 problems found.

I'm sorry, I should have been clear on that, we have back to back seats, he just moved to the rear seat on the port side. Now that the sand is out, it should be a different boat. Thanks for posting.