Old gasline

mr chapman

Recruit
The boat haven't been use about 3 years...it got .25 tank of gas...Do I have to drain this out before I put the new one in? Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Old gasline

YES YES YES YES YES, burn it in the lawn mower, give it to the neighbors for there mower. and flush the fuel lines before pumping anything into the motor. there going to be all kind of crud and varnish and condensation. might consider changing any rubber hoses also.

meddo

Seaman

There's a good chance the bowls of the carbs have that bad gas in them also. Make sure they get emptyed as well.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I'd drain and refil the tank. Then drop the bowls on the carbs and using the squeeze bulb, force fuel through the engine (catching what comes out ) till fresh comes out the bowl (you can smell the difference). Then reinstall the bowls and put in a new fuel filter......and impeller in the lower unit.

Mark

roncopas

Cadet

Hypothetically speaking if you don’t know that there was fuel in the tank and you add 20 gal (32gal tank) @ 50-1mix will this cause the motor to smoke

The motor was rebuilt 2 years ago then put into storage
I just did a Decarb with Sefoam
It Still smokes I did use fresh gas after I was finished doing the decarb
50-1 mix

mr chapman

Recruit

Okay...I have done all of that, but my motor won't stay in run, it will start and after 5-10 seconds it shut off and it keep doing the samething everytime I try to start. Any advise...Thanks

timmathis

Lieutenant

It sounds like you could have a float not working right. You need to troubleshoot the fuel system starting with the fuel supply,
Tim