engine turns over but won't fire

I have a 1977 mercruiser 898 with mallory distributor. just installed pertronix ignitor ran a couple of times now i get nothing, engine turns over fine, i'm pretty sure i'm getting spark at the coil however i'm unsure on how to test the coil and distributor to be certain they are operating correctly, how can i tell if just the cap is bad or the whole distributor? also popping noise from starter when turning to start getting progressively worse is this the starter or just the selenoid?

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: engine turns over but won't fire

Have you tried to uninstall the Petronix stuff and see what happens ?

I doubt the coil,cap and distributor went bad at the same time.

Did the motor run before you installed the Petronix ?

DHP

the engine ran before the points had gone out we just figured the pertronix was just more cost effective. i called pertronix they said i shouldn't have any problem as long as it wasn't the yl624 mallory distibutor, like i said it ran great a few times then nothing.

freddyray21

Commander

unhook the coil wire from the dist. hold it an inch from a good ground and crank the motor. The spark should jump to the ground. If it doesn't and you have power to the coil the coil is bad. One other thing you might check. See if the petronix ignitor in the dist didn't slip changing the gap. Should be about 30 thousands.