remote control problem

julsco

Recruit
i just bought my first boat(1973 fibreform with 1971 50 hp merc, remote controls). controls were apart and detent roller was missing. when putting the two halves back together, the seloc manual shows the warm up lever in the off position. i cannot make these two halves go together as the cam roller wont enter the face cam. if i open the lever it will go to a position where they will go together. after putting them together i tried pull starting the motor and it kicked back on me hard. the motor did start but i think it was in gear. prop was turning. how can i be sure it is in neutral?

ricksrster

Commander
Re: remote control problem

Make sure your shift handle is in the middle between reverse and forward. Those detent rollers are easy to use. You might be able to get a controller from Ebay. They show up there from time to time.

urbanp

Seaman Apprentice

(with the engine off) If you can spin the prop freely, without hearing any clicking noises, then you are in nutral.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

be very gentle withyur wiring, i had to replace the external and internal wiring harness on my '71 1350, $300.00

julsco

Recruit

urbanp said:
(with the engine off) If you can spin the prop freely, without hearing any clicking noises, then you are in nutral.

julsco

Recruit

i have tried spinning the prop freely but the flywheel still turns. ihave tried the shift cable in every position. can the reverse locks have anything to do with this problem.

tashasdaddy

remove the engine cowl. looking from the rear, on the left front side the cable come into the engine. the top one is the throttle cable bottom shift. these move forward and back. the throttle moves the long lever linking the throttle linkage. the shift move in a slide mechanism, below the throttle cable. sliding it back is forward, near the middle is neutral, sliding forward is reverse. this slide mechanism is connected by and arm that runs to the shift shaft, which rotates and is connected to the lower unit. see what you can find if the flywheel turns when you move the prop both ways it is in reverse. if the fly wheel turns when turning the prop in one direction and you hear a clink in the other direction it is in forward.

julsco

Recruit

tashasdaddy said:
remove the engine cowl. looking from the rear, on the left front side the cable come into the engine. the top one is the throttle cable bottom shift. these move forward and back. the throttle moves the long lever linking the throttle linkage. the shift move in a slide mechanism, below the throttle cable. sliding it back is forward, near the middle is neutral, sliding forward is reverse. this slide mechanism is connected by and arm that runs to the shift shaft, which rotates and is connected to the lower unit. see what you can find if the flywheel turns when you move the prop both ways it is in reverse. if the fly wheel turns when turning the prop in one direction and you hear a clink in the other direction it is in forward.

julsco

Recruit

thank you for that info. it helped a lot. for starters the linkage was backwards. upon further examination i discovered the shift lever inside the housing is damaged.i can get a new one at the dealer monday. i can now start the motor but it is still in forward gear. will starting it in gear hurt anything? it started rather easy but threw the water out of the can so i shut it down immediately. also i bought a seloc manual. not bad but also not quite as thorough as i'd like. any other suggestions? thanks again.

urbanp

Seaman Apprentice

julsco said:
thank you for that info. it helped a lot. for starters the linkage was backwards. upon further examination i discovered the shift lever inside the housing is damaged.i can get a new one at the dealer monday. i can now start the motor but it is still in forward gear. will starting it in gear hurt anything? it started rather easy but threw the water out of the can so i shut it down immediately. also i bought a seloc manual. not bad but also not quite as thorough as i'd like. any other suggestions? thanks again.

no, starting it in gear should not hurt anything.

My suggestion is to invest in a set of water muffs. They are inexpensive and allow you to run your motor out of the water without needing a barrel. All you need is a garden hose.

tashasdaddy

go to ebay and look for the original mercury manual # C-90_68847 it's for all the '71's inline engines. thats where i got mine i have a 71 1350. be cafrefull of the prop in gear. and walmart sell muffs around $10.00. never turn it over without water. plan on replacing the impeller as you don't know when it was replaced.