Engine size question

1959_FDR

Banned
Hi mariners,

I have a question.

My 1959 Alumacraft FDR runabout is OBC rated for a 35 hp max engine size ( in 1959 )
The boat was fitted with a 1959 Mercury Mark 35A 4 cylinder 35 hp engine when it was sold new.

I have a SWEET 1962 Evinrude Lark IV 40 hp twin cylinder engine that I would like to put on the old FDR.

I'm not sure, but I think the Evinrude twin is probably a lighter motor in the dead weight department, than the 4 cylinder Merc.

The Aquaduct Transom on the 1959 Alumacraft FDR looks notoriously sturdy....

What's your opinion on running the 1962 40HP evinrude,
on the FDR since it was rated at OBC max 35hp in 1959 ?

I'm thinking it will be fine, and quite a "rocket out of the pocket"

I'd appreciate your valued opinions

Thanks,

John
PS) I'm currently stripping the 47 years of paint of the boat.... Common brake fluid is doing a superb job of wrinkling that hard paint of that shining aluminum WOOT !

here she is with the 59 Mark 35A on it
3668.jpg

Re: Engine size question

John,

You will be fine with the Lark. You didn't hear me say this but you could run much more than 40hp on that transom ;-)

Here's a Model FD with 2 Mercury Mark 55's on the transom.
Alumicraft02.jpg

Attachments

• Alumicraft02.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 2

1959_FDR

Banned

VintageAlumacraft said:
Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm still learning this board :)

What a GREAT Picture Brian 8)
( right click's and saves beautiful picture ) lol
Yeah I didn't think it would be a problem, but I learned long ago that it's better to ask than to perform a stupid human trick in a 14 foot boat o:)

I have my eye on a 1968 85 hp OMC :%
A fella said he'd trade me for my Model 91 Winchester 22 cal semi automatic plinking rifle.

I think I might take him up on it, given that the motor still has gears in the lower unit ( grins )

John

I'll post some pictures of how that brake fluid paint stripping method I came up with is working out, in a day or so.

by the way... Alumacraft sent me a paper copy of the exact picture of the FDR that you posted for me...
I sure appreciated you doing that.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Very nice but that was then and this is now. Your insurance company will not insure you for liability, nor will they insure the boat for loss if they know it is overpowered. Even if they didn't know it was over powered, and heaven forbid you have a personal injury accident, someone else is going to own all your stuff. Just so you know what the possibilities are.

1959_FDR

Banned

Silvertip said:
Very nice but that was then and this is now. Your insurance company will not insure you for liability, nor will they insure the boat for loss if they know it is overpowered. Even if they didn't know it was over powered, and heaven forbid you have a personal injury accident, someone else is going to own all your stuff. Just so you know what the possibilities are.

WOW sounds like the sky is falling :% lol

Insurance? Michigan is a no-fault insurance law state.
i.e. your own insurance company pays for your own damage, and I carry 350,000 in personal liability.

Where I live the population is about 1 person per square mile, so I rarely even see another boat on the water where I go. I'm near Lake Superior.
Well... there are the 1,000 foot Iron Ore boats, but they're pretty easy to see. 8)

I appreciate the cheerful advice though.

I have 11 boats and 2 canoes, so this one ( the FDR )
is being prepared for one thing primarily. Straight line speed, and whipping my friend's boat's butt in the 2 mile stretch :)

John

**EDIT** starts looking around for a replacement OBC engine rating plate... o:)

Pony

Rear Admiral

Silvertip said:

While its a good point...................we are talking about 5 extra horsepower here on an extremely strong transom.

1959_FDR

Banned

Pony said:
Silvertip said:

While its a good point...................we are talking about 5 extra horsepower here on an extremely strong transom.

Well hello Neighbor 8)
You're just down by Milwaukee ?
I'm about 200 miles North of you In Crystal Falls, Michigan. ( Northwest of Iron Mountain, Mi. )

John

Pony

Rear Admiral

Yup I am about 25 miles north of Milwaukee. Its great up there. At some point I want to move to the northwoods.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I certainly don't intend for the insurance thing to get out of hand but "no fault or not" your insurance company likely will not cover you if you knowingly overpower the boat. These days 350K in personal liability will not go far if you land someone (a friend for example) in the hospital. Too many people these days scoff at the insurance limitations -- until they find themselves in a very bad situation. I won't bother you further with this.

1959_FDR

Banned

Cool... I'll take you for a spin in the 1959 Alumaraft FDR
when you get up this way.
8)

1959_FDR

Banned

Silvertip said:
I certainly don't intend for the insurance thing to get out of hand but "no fault or not" your insurance company likely will not cover you if you knowingly overpower the boat. These days 350K in personal liability will not go far if you land someone (a friend for example) in the hospital. Too many people these days scoff at the insurance limitations -- until they find themselves in a very bad situation. I won't bother you further with this.

Thanks....
I didn't ask about insurance policies....
I asked about transom strength....
but thanks anyway for the input

John

PS) unlike **** Cheney, I probably won't indicate that I'm going straight ahead, and then suddenly turn to the left and t-bone my buddies boat lol

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

John,

Congratulations on your boat purchase! It is a very well built, strong boat. Yours is the FD runabout, a classic. I have the FD utility and the dimensions are the same.

Here are pic's with my different motors, showing it's versatility. It's a 1968 FD rated for 40 hp., that I bought new. More details are in the forum Show Yer Alumacraft.

With '04 40 hp. motor. Back in '68 there weren't tiller steer 40 hp. motors, remote console steering was added for it and some years later the boat was rated 25 hp. max.

FDrearmotorupPB.jpg

FDleftanglePB.jpg

With '69 25 hp. motor. I bought the motor new for the boat, so it's been used the most. Even for slalom one ski water skiing.

Dcp_142340.jpg

With '91 4 hp. motor. It's a real fishing motor.

Dcp_143940.jpg

The boat only weight is 207 lbs. and runs great with the 2 cylinder 4 hp. motor. You don't need a lot of power to make the boat scoot at a running speed. Here's a picture of it running WOT or wide open throttle. With the 40 hp. motor on it's 10 times that.

Dcp_145940.jpg

The 25 hp. motor is ideal for all around use. With the 40 hp. motor it's the most fun, but it's at my limit and then some. You need good water and wind conditions to operate it at WOT, if not the boat will go airborne. The boat tracks very solid because it is narrow and it does not slide in sharp corners. When the boat goes airborne it can come down in another direction and that's when bad things happen. I've been there at times and been lucky, thrown to the floor but still hanging on to the tiller handle. If I would lose my grip of the tiller handle the boat would flip.

Your remote steering will make the boat much safer. The Lark 40 would be a nice setup for what you want to do with it. Not that I'm recommending it, that's your decision. That motor weighs about 130 lbs., mine weighs over 200 lbs, but all weight is good because you will need to add weight in the boat. The boat can easily handle larger more powerful motors but with bigger motors you cannot run them at WOT. It would be just for show and hard on the motor. Motors should be able to run at WOT and with more hp. more weight will be need in the boat to keep it down.

You want your boat to be a "rocket out of the pocket" and it will be. I'm glad you own 11 boats, you know what it's all about.

Enjoy that boat and keep us posted!

Pony

Rear Admiral

I really like that 69' Johnson 25hp.....looks like its in great condition.

1959_FDR

Banned

River said:
John,

Congratulations on your boat purchase! It is a very well built, strong boat. Yours is the FD runabout, a classic. I have the FD utility and the dimensions are the same.

Here are pic's with my different motors, showing it's versatility. It's a 1968 FD rated for 40 hp., that I bought new. More details are in the forum Show Yer Alumacraft.

With '04 40 hp. motor. Back in '68 there weren't tiller steer 40 hp. motors, remote console steering was added for it and some years later the boat was rated 25 hp. max.

The boat only weight is 207 lbs. and runs great with the 2 cylinder 4 hp. motor. You don't need a lot of power to make the boat scoot at a running speed. Here's a picture of it running WOT or wide open throttle. With the 40 hp. motor on it's 10 times that.

The 25 hp. motor is ideal for all around use. With the 40 hp. motor it's the most fun, but it's at my limit and then some. You need good water and wind conditions to operate it at WOT, if not the boat will go airborne. The boat tracks very solid because it is narrow and it does not slide in sharp corners. When the boat goes airborne it can come down in another direction and that's when bad things happen. I've been there at times and been lucky, thrown to the floor but still hanging on to the tiller handle. If I would lose my grip of the tiller handle the boat would flip.

Your remote steering will make the boat much safer. The Lark 40 would be a nice setup for what you want to do with it. Not that I'm recommending it, that's your decision. That motor weighs about 130 lbs., mine weighs over 200 lbs, but all weight is good because you will need to add weight in the boat. The boat can easily handle larger more powerful motors but with bigger motors you cannot run them at WOT. It would be just for show and hard on the motor. Motors should be able to run at WOT and with more hp. more weight will be need in the boat to keep it down.

You want your boat to be a "rocket out of the pocket" and it will be. I'm glad you own 11 boats, you know what it's all about.

Enjoy that boat and keep us posted!

Okay... I'm seriously drooling over that 40 hp Merc lol

BEAUTIFUL boat River Runner.

I've been using Brake Fluid to remove the 7 layers of "retard paint" from my FDR lol
hard to believe someone would PAINT such beautiful aluminum for freshwater use....
( the cross we bear )
I have been putting around the lakes here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with a newly acquired Mercury 110 9.8 hp (1978 model ) and she fairs pretty well...
I've decided to leave the 1962 Evinrude Lark IV 40 hp on the back of the 1962 Steury 416SD ( mounted on the Steury since Day 1 ), because I'm working on a deal for a later model Johnson 40hp manual shift, that I located locally with the remote control head and cables and wiring harness to boot. The 62 Lark 40 has electric shift and I'm trying to steer away from that with the FDR project.

Is that the original decal on the aft quarter? or did you find a source for Alumacraft decals?

I really dig your FD...

Shoot me an email sometime to " vilulf9@sbcglobal.net "
I'm just a few hundred miles to your N.N.E.

Thanks for sharing those pictures... they are superb!

John

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

John,

About the decal..... The boat and trailer are all factory original, including the tires. It's garaged when not in use.

FDrightside2PB.jpg

Yes, some people paint these boats. It gets scuffed up or weathered and they think they are improving it. It's best they left it as is. I feel that age and wear just adds character to the boat.

I do not know what the original aluminum satin finish is. Maybe anodized? But it is nice.

My Uncle bought a new 1956 FD when I was 6 years old, with a 35 hp. Mercury and console steering. Lot's of memories and the family still has it. That's why I have mine.

Pony..... here's a picture of the 25 hp. at WOT on the FD, and it is in great condition. Sorry guy's no picture of the 40 hp. at WOT, to dangerous to do alone.

Dcp_141940.jpg

Pony

Rear Admiral

That boat looks like it does a great job of planing out.........wish mine could look like that.

Heres my 25 on a 14fter. Not nearly as smooth, although its not quite at WOT.
picture0041bf.jpg

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took these pictures of the 40 hp. motor running about 2/3 throttle on my FD yesterday, running down and up river. To scary for me to open it up at WOT and do this.

Dcp_146840.jpg

Dcp_146740.jpg

Pony..... My brother-in-law has your same boat and it's a great boat! It's larger and heavier than mine. I think it's rated very conservatively for hp. but that's the way the manufactures do it now. The boat could handle a huge motor but safety first is the concern.