1997 200hp Ocean Runner

Danobear

Cadet
Earlier this year I posted a thread on my engine. I replaced 2 recirculation valves & a couple week coil packs & new plugs. I have run Two 50 gal. fill ups & it uses 1 gal of oil per fill up. I think this is 50.1

I have a miss at idle & it smokes not as bad as it was but still smokes. When I throtle up it goes away & runs like a Swiss watch. The tach started acting up & pegs 8ks when I am at 1/4-1/2 throttle . When I am at idle & put it in gear to check my crab pots the tach goes to 3ks

I wonder if this erratic tach & idle miss are tied together.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Dan

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 200hp Ocean Runner

You might have hooked up your batteries backwards momentarily, or ran the engine with the battery disconnected recently.
The tach is indicative of a fried rectifier possibly. If this is the case you need to find what caused the rectifier to fail. Have you checked the Stator to see if black goo is dripping?
While your checking that, also look at the magnets aroung the flywheel to see if they have slid around or have broken.

Danobear

Cadet

The Batterys havnt been hooked up wrong in the 3 yrs I have owned the boat & it hasnt been run without any power to it either.
The Tach just started acting up this week. The low end miss has me stumped. Your telling me I need to pull the flywheel & check the stator to see if it is melted?

Thanks

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

NO!

Just look under there to see what's going on. I had similar symptoms to yours when my stator went out. The tach is the symptom. (search for issues like yours) You are describing an ignition problem. If you have a manual, that and the previous posts here will guide you in finding the root problem, instead of just replacing parts.