is it alright?

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class
the boat i own was abandoned on my property by the guy i was going to buy it from.sounds crazy right?well i gave him $300 down for what was supposed to be a $1000 tri-hull w/ the 115 johnson 1973.supposedly only needed a new battery and turn it over.not so.thats when he took off w/ my $300.but thats ok i got the title the legal way and ended up w/ the whole deal for the $300.im stoked.but heres the catch!
the lower unit is STUCK!!!thats hopefully been resolved, my other post "sure hope this fits!!!" now after all that said heres my possible problem:before he left he made an conserted effort to get it to run.he even had it turning over,the problem w/ that is that STUCK lower unit is in gear.how could it be turning the flywheel w/ everything frozen.is this a major problem?im new but learning fast.even have aircraft mechanic exp.so please bear with me.could there be some major stuff broke or maybe just a broke flywheel key.probably overreacting considering w/ the lower unit off it turns over fine,all cylinders are pumping.just worries me.my wife and i really cant afford to waste the little bit of savings we have.
sorry the long post!
DOUG

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: is it alright?

Are you sure the motor is a 73? If it's a 72 or earlier it will be in forward gear when not running.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

He's got another thread floating here also Dale....might want to take a look at it.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Check for the pistons to be moving up and down, especially on the lower pair. It's possible for the crank to snap, maybe at the center main bearing.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

are youpositive about the year?. is there a shift lever on the left side of the engine(looking from the rear)? did anyone try removing the control cable from the motor to see if it would shift? stranger thing have happened.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a 115esl73m.he said the cable broke on him last time out.the shift arm where it meets the small rod going down to the lower unit was all the way down,making it alittle tough to disconnect the two when i removed the lower unit.like i say the pistons are pumping when the plugs are out,lots of air coming out.crazy

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

update:had it running for about 15 seconds.seems the info about a fully charged battery was right.had to cut it off since i have no lower unit on.then tryed to restart which it did,but then it backfired and havent been able to start it since.and fuel is pooring out of the carbs.just rebuilt last weekend.also did compression test(1)110,(2)115,(3)125,(4)125.any comments on any of this?

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

YOU MUST STOP !!!!!! Running it with out any water / coolant.

15 seconds , may not sound like alot to you .

But , thats 15 seconds of waterpump dry / impellar damage .

When you see or hear the guys at the ramp , who crank there engines , while on land.

Just to be sure it will. Think of how it felt, when you went down the pool slide , with it dry !!! LOL

Not good. It takes very little time to , more or less, ruin your impellar.

Also sounds like whoever rebuilt the carbs , gets another shot at it.

Sounds like misadjusted float / needles, some of the little wire retainers on the needles .

Can be installed two ways , if your not familiar with them.

Only problem is only one way will work correctly .

The other the needle doesnt seat correctly.

I apologise , tired, Thats right your water pump isn't even operating.

Even a better reason TO NOT START/ RUN your motor.

KYHunter

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

trying to run the motor without water circulating is inviting disaster.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

i rebuilt the carbs myself.first time.the kits i got have more pieces then i needed.my manual doesnt really get down to the nitty gritty since it covers so many years.they did come w/ some sort of wire retainer looking deal but there was nothing on the carbs originally.when i put back together i screwed the jets back in all the way was this right.the manual doesnt say.ive gotta get the factory manual

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

The little wire, retainers is what I call them.

They attach to the needles, and then the flost arm.

Im guessing your '73 has them. I've seen a few different styles, but they do the same thing.

Raise and lower needle , as the float does the same .

The type I was referring to, in the other reply, can be installed slightly differently.

One way they are good and straight, the other, though only slightly different.

The needle is at an angle, where it could possibly stick.

I've never installed them wrong but , see where it could be a possible problem.

That could lead to a sticky needle.

As far as the jets , you did it correctly . Screw them all the way in.

Good-Luck,

KYHunter

I noticed you didnt mention the needles . If you changed them , you had to see the little wire that attaches them to the float arm.

If you didn't , please explain what you did ,as far as the needles / float etc.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

the needles that were in the carbs looked slightly different.the new have a groove near the top where as the old ones were totally smooth.there was no wire retainer.i still have the remaining pieces from both kits.i wish there was a thorough rebuild proceedure in the faq section w/ pix.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Im not familiar with your year motor . But , i have to ask, when the float moves, with the fuel level .

The needles, have to be attached to the float arm, in some manner .

Or both the float and the needle , are useless , right ?

What good does it do, if it doesn't raise needle to allow fuel flow into the bowl ?

How are your needles , raised / lowered ?

Are you saying ,the needles are just stuck in the seat ?

I may be way off base , but the ones I've done had a little wire retainer .

That attached the top of needle to float arm.

I hope someone else , gets in on this and explains it to me.

KYHunter

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

I'll see if I can explain .

If your needles have a groove on the opposite end . (not pointed).

This is where the little wire retainer attaches , to the needle.

Then it should be bent, in such a way that it hangs on the float arm .

Some go through a hole in the float arm some don't

Usually, when the retainer and needle are installed correctly , there's no way the retainer can come off .

As long as the needle is seated correctly .

Didn't your rebuild kits come with instructions ?

Most do.

KYHunter

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

just a very basic exploded view w/ two types of carbs.neither pix show the retainer even though the kits came w/ it.other pieces unused were several o-rings,the flat metal plugs(was leary of popping old ones out)and a little white plastic cap(?)didnt run into cap or o-rings in tear down.i figured the kit was somewhat universal.i sure hope someone chims in too,i dont mind tearing down carbs again if need be.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh yeah they were sierra kits from ishopmarine.com

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

whats the advantages/disadvantages of replaicing the core plugs?