1989 Johnson "sputters" when idleing

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1989 88HP johnson that runs like a top at WOT and at low idle in gear. When not in gear and at idle though it "sputters" (Probably not the correct term) Maybe "hiccups" is better?. Sometimes it seems the motor will quit, then it picks up and runs smooth for a while. I had thought for a while that this was just a normal thing for an engine this old, but yesterday i was next to an older version (Evinrude though), and it didn't do that. It does it more when cold, but still does it when warm, in fact it seems more severe when warm

Over the winter i rebuilt the carbs, fuel pump, New plugs & wires. Compression is fine. I had a link & sync done in the spring just to make sure all is OK. the fuel vent is open, and the bulb always stays hard and full.

it runs better now than It ever has since I bought it, but it just doesn't seem right that this happens.

Is this a normal thing? Any ideas as to what would cause it?
I'm stumped

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Johnson

sounds like a carb adjustment.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Try backing out the low speed needles an 1/8 of a turn for starters. It may be running a bit lean at idle....

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a lean sneeze. You could try to richen up the idle jets. Double check the idle timing.

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks i will try that tomorrow.