125hp high speed miss???

kcloud

Recruit
I have a Force 1986 125hp with a problem I can't figure out. Started last fall when I thought I hit a log or something at full speed. Kicked the motor up, but as I continued on it would periodically repeat this. I had to keep lowering the speed until we came in at about half throttle. First suggestion was it was jumping out of gear and the linkage needed adjustment. Did that, still a problem. Next suggestion was the shift yoke. I tore the lower unit apart over the winter and it was in excellent shape. It had already been rebuilt somewhere along the line. Next suggestion was a slipping hub, as I had hit something earlier in the year, so I replaced that and finally got the boat back in the water. Still the same problem, but I can cruise at 2/3rds throttle before it kicks in. Maybe a high speed miss??? I'm reluctant to run it at high speed out of the water with mufflers???? All suggestions very welcome!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 125hp high speed miss???

My guess would be spun hub or bad forward gear and clutch. Even though you had the prop replaced or repaired I would test it with a marker. Draw a straight line on the prop to the prop nut . When it surges again verify this mark still lines up. If prop tests good you might want to tear the lower unit apart again and look at drive shaft splines, pinion gears and re look at the forward on reverse gears.