1990 70 hp VRO Johnson speed tops out at 11mph after primer solenoid replacement

t ferrar

Recruit
I recently bought a used private party 1990 70 hp Johnson boat motor on a cimmaron hull. When I tested out of water before I bought it started right up and sounded strong. I got it in the water and it was very hard to start but eventually it would. After starting it ran very well and topped out about 35 mph.

I figured out it was the primer solenoid not functioning so I replaced. Now there is no problem starting but cant go 11mph than 11mph!!!?

It ran well right before the solenoid replacement.

Any thoughts?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1990 70 hp VRO Johnson speed tops out at 11mph after primer solenoid replace

Re: 1990 70 hp VRO Johnson speed tops out at 11mph after primer solenoid replace

sounds like you knocked crud loose in the fuel line and it went to the carbs.. been trying to post since noon

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Same here TD,

I would go back through the fuel lines going to the primer. Are they secure at the primer and carbs? Sounds like you may have an air leak somewhere. One other thing, do you have the manual (Red) primer knob parallel to the primer body? Otherwise it will be shooting gas in the cylinders all the time and flooding out the motor. Should be in this position for running:

insidemotorright222.jpg

t ferrar

Recruit

tashasdaddy said:
sounds like you knocked crud loose in the fuel line and it went to the carbs.. been trying to post since noon

I would suspect fuel line fouling but it runs real smooth just tops out no spits or sputters. I'll check and clean lines and carbs and keep you posted when resolved.

Thanks for your prompt reply

t ferrar

Recruit

rickdb1boat said:
Same here TD,

I would go back through the fuel lines going to the primer. Are they secure at the primer and carbs? Sounds like you may have an air leak somewhere. One other thing, do you have the manual (Red) primer knob parallel to the primer body? Otherwise it will be shooting gas in the cylinders all the time and flooding out the motor. Should be in this position for running:

insidemotorright222.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I wish I could say that was the problem with primer setting but it is set right. It runs real smooth just tops out no spits or sputters or coughs. I'll check and clean lines and carbs and keep you posted when resolved.

Thanks for your prompt reply and expertise.

t ferrar

Recruit

Sorry didn't mean to repeat myself. I didnt know you would both see replies.

Thanks

SLEEPY1230

Cadet

1990 70 hp johnson is a 3 cyl with 3 carbs right. Make sure you didn't knock any linkage out of adjustment while you were installing new primer

t ferrar

Recruit

SLEEPY1230 said:
1990 70 hp johnson is a 3 cyl with 3 carbs right. Make sure you didn't knock any linkage out of adjustment while you were installing new primer

Sleepy1230 you hit it right on the head!!!

When we went back to check and clean all the lines we noticed that the bottom carb linkage had been unclipped. Musta been when I put my big clumsy hands behind to attached the tubes at the back of the solenoid.

Alls well now. Thank you all for your help.

Think I'll take a spin around the lake.
TtF

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

hoorah for Sleepy. by the way hows Dopey.