Hubs: one cool, one hot

cougar15

Cadet
I am having a problem with one of the hubs on my trailer. First a little background: I had a blown rear seal on one of my hubs and since it's an old trailer with an uncertain history, I decided to replace the bearings, races and seals on both sides. So I installed new bearings (packed according to instructions I read on the forum), races (professionally installed at the trailer supply store) and seals, preloaded the bearings, loosened the nut and tightened to finger tight then backed off to install the cotter pin, installed new bearing buddies and finally add some grease to the bearing buddies just until the piston started to move.

Now on to the problem; this past weekend I took the boat to the cottage we go to and since the hubs were newly redone, I stopped a couple of times to check them. What I found was the hub on the drivers side was barely even warm (more like cool) and stayed that way for the entire trip. The hub on the passenger side however, became what I would describe as either very warm or hot (I don't know if it's relevant but this is also the side that had the blown seal). I did not have any way to measure the temp but I was able to hold my fingers on the hub for 2 to 3 seconds. I checked it at every rest stop on the trip (150 miles) and the temp seemed to be about the same each time. If I let it sit for a few minutes the temp came back down quickly (after about 10 min it felt just a little warm). Once I got to the cottage, I pulled the bearing buddy off and tried readjusting the retaining nut thinking maybe it was too tight. When I put it back on there was a slight amount of play in the wheel but if I tightened the nut any more it was restricting the wheel from spinning so I left it with the play. I check the hubs on the trip home and had the same results; the driver side was cool and the passenger side was hot. I am at a loss as to what else I should check to find out why that one hub is running hot? I was also wondering how hot the hub can safely get before it starts to cause a problem?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Hubs: one cool, one hot

Excessive heat can be a sign of tire problems also. Check the inflation pressure. Under inflated tires will build heat and can transfer through the wheel. Check tire temp also when checking the hub temp.

Does the tire show abnormal wear? If it does there could be an alignment problem with tht side.

cougar15

Cadet

The tire pressure was checked before leaving and again before coming home and was fine both times. The tire is brand new so I cannot tell if there is abnormal wear. Is there any other way to check the alignment of the tire? Also, the tire did not feel any warmer than the tire on the other side of the trailer.

Reel said:
Excessive heat can be a sign of tire problems also. Check the inflation pressure. Under inflated tires will build heat and can transfer through the wheel. Check tire temp also when checking the hub temp.

Does the tire show abnormal wear? If it does there could be a lignment problem with tht side.

DaveJ50

Seaman

That is exactly my trailer story minus the fact that I installed the races myself and I don't have a cottage. The hot side was even the same.

I had a choice of tight with no play or loose with a little play. I went with a little tight and the hub ran about the same 2-3 second touch hot. I dropped back to the next hole and went with a little play.

Mine did run cooler but it seemed like it took a couple of short trips before they did. I don't have any idea why that would be but it seemed that way to me.

DaveJ

JRJ2

Cadet

Better take the hot one apart and see whats wrong. Probably not a tire problem. Good luck.

cougar15

Cadet

Thanks for the replys,

The trailer does not have breaks...

JRJ, any suggestions as to what I should be looking for? I have already taken the outer bearing out and checked it and the race and adjusted the retaining nut and they all looked fine (at least they looked fine to my rather inexpiranced eye) so the only thing I haven't checked yet is the rear bearing...

The other question that has not been addressed yet is how hot can the hub run before it results in damage? Is it ok for a hub to run a little hot or is any increase in temp a serious problem?

I may end up just having to take it in to a trailer shop and have it looked at professionaly since I am at a loss at to what else I can do.

BrianS. said:
Brake rubbing?

JRJ2

Cadet

Possably the race is too tight, but a trip to a pro shop sounds like a good idea. Good luck.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I recently had the same problem with one of my trailers, a dual axel. The temps were 113, 124, 126, & 151. You could hold your fingers on the 151 for maybe 2 seconds. Before heading back home I raised the 151 tire off the ground, loosened the nut one notch and closed everything back up. Twenty miles into the trip I stopped, checked the temp and it was 113. Haven't had any other problem since. Good luck..