Need help with trim problem

ALBoater

Recruit
My 2001 135 mercury optimax was stuck in the "up" position recently. The noise coming from the tilt/trim motor was exactly the same as it has always been, just no movement, except "up," where it became stuck.

To make a long story short (hopefully), I removed the screw/plug referenced in the owner's manual (to manually make the motor go down) and all the fluid ran out. The screw/plug was damaged in the removal process and had to get a new one, which I have now put back in.

I then filled the hole where the "pressure" opening (on the left, which is different than the one I originally removed and has a cap that looks like a flower on it) with about 1.5 tubes of hydraulic/tilt fluid. I then manually moved the engine up and down and "burped" (removed the air) from the flower-looking cap once or twice. One time during this process, the engine came up by using the tilt switch but then wouldn't come back down, so I slightly loosened the manual screw again and once the engine dropped, retightened it. I then tried to work the trim again, but it would only move the engine up slightly and then back down.

During this entire time, the sound coming from the tilt/trim motor is exactly the same.

Did I do the refilling correctly? Have I not built enough pressure up? Is the new part not "seating" correctly and thereby preventing pressure from being built up?

Any suggestions appreciated. It may be that I just need to keep moving the engine up and down again to get it working and/or add more fluid.