Mercruiser 120 Overheating

76 MARLIN

Recruit
I have a '76 marlin with the GM 153 Mercruiser 120 hp, boat used to run at 140 degrees all day. Overheated one day, but never got above 200 deg. Had impeller pump and housing replaced by local boat shop. Still overheating. Pulled thermostat, no help. Checkked circulation pump ok. Pulled head and found piece of impeller stuck in one port on top of engine block. Repaired that and put back together, still overheating. Checked flow from impeller pump seems ok, checked flow going into exhaust manifold and when I removed this hose, water and exhaust began blowing out of manifold. Does this indicate a problem with the manifold or riser?

76 MARLIN

Recruit
Re: Mercruiser 120 Overheating

Forgot to mention, can run up to 1800 rpm without overheating, but any faster and she begins to overheat.
TIA

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

you could have more restrictions in the system.. which allow it to work fine at lower RPM but when more water is required to cool it the flow just isn't enough.

are you sure that you found all of the pieces of the impeller? did your boat shop do anything to make sure they found all the pieces? backflush the system?

76 MARLIN

Recruit

hullofalottatrouble said:
you could have more restrictions in the system.. which allow it to work fine at lower RPM but when more water is required to cool it the flow just isn't enough.

are you sure that you found all of the pieces of the impeller? did your boat shop do anything to make sure they found all the pieces? backflush the system?

Yes, I belive I have found all the pieces now. No, I have not back flushed the system, what would be the procedure for doing that?