Keel roller bracket replacement

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
While the boat was off the trailer this past weekend, I discovered that one of the keel roller brackets on the trailer was damaged and needs to be replaced (the trailer is 34 years old but otherwise in great shape). The damaged bracket is similar to this one http://www.cesmithco.com/product/10300.htm however the slots are on a 4" center on the damaged bracket and I can't seem to find any brackets with slots on 4" center and I would rather not have to try and drill new holes in the trailer frame. So, I was wondering if I might be able to use a pair of brackets like these http://www.cesmithco.com/product/10500.htm What I don't like about going this route is the fact that they are two separate brackets and that they would be more prone to beinding, breaking, etc. than the one piece brackets are. The bracket/roller does support some weight but the trailer has bunks which I think support the majority of the boat's weight. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Keel roller bracket replacement

Two new holes in the trailer is not a big deal and in the end it makes a better installation. Using individual brackets with just one bolt each allows the brakets to easily pivot one way or the other so this in my view, is not a good solution.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Silvertip said:
Two new holes in the trailer is not a big deal and in the end it makes a better installation. Using individual brackets with just one bolt each allows the brakets to easily pivot one way or the other so this in my view, is not a good solution.

I agree on the separate brackets not being a good solution. Normally, drilling two holes in the trailer would not be a big deal, but I really don't have the ability to do the job while the boat is off the trailer (no nearby place to launch) and it would be a very tough job to do with the boat on the trailer while on my back underneath the boat/trailer. I do have a good upcoming opportunity to do the job while the boat will be in the water for a week while I'm on vacation, but I wanted to replace it before then since I have to tow it about 200 miles to get there. I guess I'll just have to crawl under and try and drill new holes with the boat on the trailer and install the new bracket/roller, and then when I take the boat off of the trailer next, raise the bracket just a little.

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What I did when replacing all the keel rollers (on 17 foot boat) is to slowly lift the keel with automotive hydraulic jack (place scrap wood and rags in between), just enough to loosen and install the new bracket in.

It worked for me cause on my boat the keel is the strongest structure, where most of the boat's weight are supported (by no less than 5 rollers). Place the jack either at the stern or at the bow end, that way the jack is not taking the full weight of the boat.
Note: friendly reminder, loosen the holding straps before you lift the boat with the jack...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before you remove the old roller & bracket, take a reference measurement from some point on the trailer to the keel roller. When you install the new one you'll know how high to set it.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone for your replies. I went to a marine recycling place here in Sacramento and was able to find a used bracket/roller in good condition that matches up to the damaged one, so I won't have to drill any new holes after all. Total cost = $2, plus the gas to drive there.