Transom thickness - engine installation ????

aries8888

Cadet
Not sure if this question should be here or over in the engine section.

The question is which thickness do I rebuild the transom to.

Boat hull is a 1973 Sea Ray mated to a merc 135 o/d setup. All specifications I have found say the transom thickness should be 2" to 2-1/8" for a merc setup using the chevy engine. I have measured the existing transom at a spot not damaged by water and the overall thickness is 1-3/4 ". The transom is constructed by a single piece of 3/4" ply which is doubled at the engine location by another piece of 3/4" ply. The fiberglass hull measures 1/4" which gives the overall thickness of
1-3/4".

The easy answer is to rebuild the transom to 1-3/4" since that is what is there and presumed to be correct.

Thank you
freeeman

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Transom thickness - engine installation ????

If you go that route,.... You'll need to shim the transom, where the drive/engine mounts to 2"s.......

You Can't align the drive,+ the depth of the Input Shaft Splines will Bottom Out in the Coupler,......
Unless you have between 2",+ 2, 1/8"s........

aries8888

Cadet
Re: Transom thickness - engine installation ????

I am not sure if I understand given the current setup.

If I understand you correctly I should have 218 to 2-1/8" at the spot where the transom plate bolts to the gimble housing.

Since 34 transom measures 1 -3/4" in thickness at the transom plate area this indicates to me it was not correct to start with which is a puzzel since it is the factory install.

If possible could you point out the area I am being obtuse about. My understanding of the setup is: The engine mounts to the transom plate and obviously assembly's mounted to the plate that assemby's clearance is fixed. So the depth plate engine is really between gimble transom plate/engine assembly and the gimble housing / bearing assembly. This should be where essence clearance is critical. 218 In essense the 2 to 2-1/8 is achieved by the thickness of the transom. The current transom depth 34 set by 2 pieces of 3/4" ply and 1/4" of fiberglass hull
(1-3/4" total depth) at the location of the transom plate with the remainder of the transom only being a single piece of 3/4" ply.

Not happy with such a thin transom wall so my orginal plan was to increase 134 depth of the entire transom to at least 1-3/4".

If I understand you correctly I should have 2 to 2-1/8" at the spot where the transom plate bolts the the gimble housing so I would want to use a doubler as they have done to 218 the depth at the plate area to the 2 to 2-1/8" depth or make the entire transom the same depth therby avoiding the need for a doubler.

Thank time1151937673 userbondo uid8448 fid26 tid rid1.
freeman

Youll

[quote time=1151937673 driveengine=- uid=8448 fid=26 2s= rid=1]If you go that route,.... You'll need to shim the transom, where the drive/engine mounts to 2"s.......

You Can't align the 18s,+ the depth of the Input Shaft Splines will Bottom Out in the Coupler,......
Unless you have between 2",+ 2, 1/8"s........[/quote]

aries8888

Cadet
Fleet Adm. - Transom thickness

Fleet Adm. - Transom thickness

Please ignore the other post which looks like this one the fourm spell checker hosed it up and it auto posts after spell checking.

I am not sure if I understand given the current setup.

If I understand you correctly I should have 2 to 2-1/8" at the spot where the transom plate bolts to the gimble housing.

Since the current transom measures 1-3/4" in thickness at the transom plate area this indicates to me it was not correct to start with which is a puzzel since it is the factory install.

If possible could you point out the area I am being obtuse about. My understanding of the setup is:
The engine mounts to the transom plate and once mounted to the plate that assemby's clearance is fixed. So the depth issue is really between the transom plate/engine assembly and the gimble housing/bearing assembly. This should be where the clearance is critical and in essense the 2 to 2-1/8 is achieved by the thickness of the transom. The current transom depth is set by 2 pieces of 3/4" ply and 1/4" of fiberglass hull (1-3/4" total depth) at the location of the transom plate with the remainder of the transom only being a single piece of 3/4" ply.

Not happy with such a thin transom wall so my orginal plan was to increase the depth of the entire transom to at least 1-3/4".

If I understand you correctly I should have 2 to 2-1/8" at the spot where the transom plate bolts the the gimble housing so I would want to use a doubler as they have done to increase the depth at the plate area to the 2 to 2-1/8" depth or make the entire transom the same 2 to 2-1/8" depth therby avoiding the need for a doubler.

Thank you for your time
freeman

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fleet Adm. - Transom thickness

Re: Fleet Adm. - Transom thickness

aries8888 said:
If I understand you correctly I should have 2 to 2-1/8" at the spot where the transom plate bolts the the gimble housing so I would want to use a doubler as they have done to increase the depth at the plate area to the 2 to 2-1/8" depth or make the entire transom the same 2 to 2-1/8" depth therby avoiding the need for a doubler.

Thank you for your time
freeman

Ayuh,........... 2"s between the inner Transom Plate,+ the Outer Transom Shield/ Gimbel is Exactly What you Need.........