'65HP Evinrude Truimph ......... what year?

ragpicker

Recruit
Hey all, New guy here ............ I have a '65 Evinrude Truimph model # J52739 ...... serial #J013102 (if that helps) What do I have?

I'm having a heck of a time getting anyone here in NW Florida to look at her. They all want to sell me a new fresh Yamie or a Merc motor (too much ruff-age $$ for me) ........ I take pride on being able to make a buffalo nickel **** (pardon the pun) so I think I'll ease into my new project, myself, of course with the help and hopefully guidance of you guys in here. ....... If someone could direct me to a fairly comprehensive repair manual, that you don't have to have PHD to understand, I'd appreciate it.
8)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: '65HP Evinrude Truimph ......... what year?

Hi ragpicker and welcome to iboats!

That model number is a stumper.....I've checked two different places and nothing close shows up. Look on the block for a large silver plug. The model and serial number will be on there. Maybe a little more readable than the tag on the transom bracket.

Just an FYI...the early 65hp's were around from 68 > 72'.

ragpicker

Recruit

Thanks Jim for the quick response. There are some different numbers if the spot I looked at is the same you said to look for ....... Up Top? Looks like a automotive freeze-plug, correct?

I looked,
I saw,
I wrote down. ............... the #'s are 85273S ..... then J43102

ragpicker

Recruit

ragpicker said:
Thanks Jim for the quick response. There are some different numbers if the spot I looked at is the same you said to look for ....... Up Top? Looks like a automotive freeze-plug, correct?

I looked,
I saw,
I wrote down. ............... the #'s are 85273S ..... then J43102

After looking through the post archive and something NOT looking right, I went back outside with my store-bought eyes, and the number turned into ...... 65273S

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Ragpicker...take another look at the 85273s number.....if it really say 65273S....then it's a 72' year.

72 Roody

Cadet

Where on the power head do you find the numbers? My transom stamp is for a 60 hp, but it's supposed to be a 65 hp. it's a 1972 Rude. I've got a manual, and it's not real clear on where to find it on the head!

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

on the transom plate. or a silver quarter size disc on top of the engine block near the rear. that is if it hasn't been painted over. both number should match.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Just for info... In 1968 there was a V4 65hp, discontinued in 1969. For 1972 and 1973 there was a 3 cylinder 65hp discontinued in 1974 by the 3 cylinder 70hp

vidal

Cadet

OBJ said:
Hi ragpicker and welcome to iboats!

That model number is a stumper.....I've checked two different places and nothing close shows up. Look on the block for a large silver plug. The model and serial number will be on there. Maybe a little more readable than the tag on the transom bracket.

Just an FYI...the early 65hp's were around from 68 > 72'.

vidal

Cadet

Have you also an idea of the year of my johnson 50 VRO model BJ50BELCOB

Thanks o lot from FRANCE.
soacvidal@.com

vidal

Cadet

Have you also an idea of the year of my johnson 50 VRO model BJ50BELCOB

Thanks o lot from FRANCE.
soacvidal@.com