Starter problem?

ttherou

Cadet
My starter is intermittently not working at all. No clicking, no spinning, just nothing. It has happened to me three times and each time I was able to get it to work by pulling up the motor and turning over the motor by turning the prop with it in gear (ignition off of course). It is a 1987 115 I-6 motor. I would think that it is a dead spot in the starter, but then again turning the motor should not make a differnce without it being engaged.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter problem?

Start by checking both ends of both battery cables. Disconnect them, clean them and reconnect them. Make sure you have a good battery. Take jumper cables and a voltmeter with you. If the engine acts up, have someone hold the key in START position while you check for 12V at the small start or ignition terminal on the solenoid. If no voltage is detected, you have an engine harness problem. If 12V is present, check at the large starter terminal on the solenoid. If 12V is not present, the solenoid is bad (assuming you've done the cables and have a good battery). As a last check, use jumper cable to bypass the solenoid. Connect one end to battery POS terminal. Connect the other end directly to the large terminal on the starter. If it spins, the starter is ok. If not, its toast. Your local auto electric (aka starter/alternator rebuilder can rebuild it for you).