winter withdraw SATISFIED!

gonefishie

Commander
My winter fishing craving was satisfied in a very nice way yesterday. It was so freeking cool, Jan. 12, 57 degree air temp, smallmouth from the bank of the White River. It was very unseasonably warm here yesterday, normally this time of year the only type of fishing can be done is ice fishing. I couldn't wait to get off of work and go fishing. Here is a picture of the smally I caught on and #4 Mepps inline spinner with a white/red skirt.
Smally.jpg

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: winter withdraw SATISFIED!

Nice catch!<br />This winter weather has been weird here in the midwest. Kinda makes it hard to turn my little boat upside down for maintenece and a fresh paint job!

gonefishie

Commander

Hey guys, if your lakes water temp is still in the 30's or low 40's and you got a river close by, go gives it a try but not the Ohio though. I had the pleasure of hooking another smally yesterday. Target the deeper section, that's where the big one hang out. I'm not catching anything off of ripples or close by. I don't know much about smallmouth river fishing at all but I'm catching fish, bigger then the ones I caught in the river in summer time. Better then sitting at home wishing you could be fishing.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Deep diving crankbait....so,so,so,so,so VERY SLOWWWWW.....<br /> It's easy to do for 20 casts or so. Then you have to stop and brainwash yourself back into thinking you just got there and start again. SLOW....

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Well did ya throw that little pipsqueak back? :p :D

gonefishie

Commander

<br />Well did ya throw that little pipsqueak back?<br />
Oh yeah! if he over 6lbs, which probably wouldn't happen to me in this lifetime, I would keep them to goes along with the 10lbs largemouth that's already on my wall.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by gonefishie:<br />
<br />Well did ya throw that little pipsqueak back?<br />
Oh yeah! if he over 6lbs, which probably wouldn't happen to me in this lifetime, I would keep them to goes along with the 10lbs largemouth that's already on my wall.
Lord have mercy don't post that on my local fishing forum - the normally congenial atmosphere goes up in smoke. Some even complain if ya talk about keeping the 1 or 2 pounders for the dinnertable. (We're talkin largemouths - very tasty.)<br /><br />When I as a kid, you'd hang a 8 or 7, maybe even a 5 pounder on the wall. Not that I have any. Ten lbs was a distant dream. Nowadays I think, trophy bass on the wall just ain't that important to me - I think I'd probably release her...can't really say for sure until it happens. But I support 100% your right and privilege to use that fish as you see fit. <br /><br />Now a 13-pounder, that's a no-brainer thanks to the Budweiser Share-a-Lunker program: the fisheries dept. harvests the eggs for use in the stocking program then returns the fish to you or releases her for you, and Budweiser chips in with a replica for your wall.