99 johnson 4hp to plane boat

jonnyboy22

Cadet
I have a 12ft aluminum row boat with a 4hp Johnson. the boat does not plane unless i sit in the middle of the boat. How can i get it to plane sitting in the back seat where the motor is?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 99 johnson 4hp to plane boat

i have a 14' aluminum boat. with a 15hp. the boat is so light it would not plane. i put a remote control and ezy guide stick steering on i, at the middle seat. this way i can use it by myself and I. a 4hp is not going to plane anything. if you have a remote gas can extend you gas line and put it as far forward as you can. you have to have weight in the front or all it's going to do is stand on end.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Toss 75 pounds in the front. I have a 12, with a 4 HP' Sandbags will work

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Tasha's Pop is right. You're not going to plane a boat with a 4Hp. The best you can do is get the boat in a level atitude with weight distribution. With all the weight in the back, you're going to be plowing thru the water. You might try trim tabs, but they require speed to function and I expect you'd need rather large ones at slow speed. They're rather pricey, but I've seen home-made versions with plates of plywood held by hinges using turnbuckles for the adjusters. Sandbags are cheap, but they add weight and slow you down except that they make the hull operate more efficiently if carefully placed. Most get long fuel lines and put the tank, anchor, and fishing gear in the bow. It's weight you carry along anyhow.